Coming out struggles

Discussion in 'Coming Out' started by mbtyson, Oct 2, 2018.

1. mbtyson

mbtyson New Member

This is the first time I have ever posted on here, going through a bit of a crisis right now. I am 20 years old, and for most of my life have only ever dated men. Never because I genuinely thought I was into them, but because it was what everyone else was doing so I thought I should do it, too. I had always had certain feelings for girls, and while I never actively repressed them, I never thought much of them either. I was always more infatuated with the female leads in movies and shows instead of the guys. About a year ago, I started really questioning my sexuality. As soon as I thought I may not be straight, I decided that I had to know immediately, I started using online dating sites to try and find a girl to confirm my suspicions. Although I ended up going on a two dates and talking to many girls, I never ended up kissing or becoming intimate with any. This frustrated my a lot, as I thought that it meant I would never be able to confirm my feelings and constantly be in a state of confusion. I have not yet actually come out to anyone, I am nervous no one would believe me if I try to come out without ever having experience, but I am more certain than ever that I am a lesbian. Not sure what I am even looking for on here, but any sort of advice would be great.

2. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

Hi Mbtyson:

I am sorry you are going through a crisis and experiencing such confusion. I think it is difficult for anyone, gay or straight to find someone who suits them. Dating is frustrating enough without part of the population on this earth hating on you.

I have a few decades on you and I remember being anxious about things that I would not be anxious about now. I don't know where you live or what your social circles are like. But at least where I am, the acceptance of one's sexuality is so much better than before. I think if I were going through the same things in my 20's nowadays I would start off by sounding off to my best buddy. I would tell him/her, like, "You know what, I am gay. I think I will date women from now on." And, I am not sure I would even care to make an announcement unless I just want to talk to friends about it. I am not sure why the fear that no one would believe you? And what if you actually can confirm one day that you don't particularly like women anymore, what is the harm to tell your own friends your thoughts now? The good thing about announcing these things is that, maybe it will help you meet more women.

Our dating pool is smaller than heterosexual couplings, but the search, the journey can be quite fun. Go enjoy your dates like it is a social gathering, not as only a means to find out more about yourself. Finding someone you like is supposed to be exciting and fun. Sending you love and light in your journey. Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 12:12 AM
  3. Coffee Addict

Coffee Addict Well-Known Member

I think congratulations are in order. Recognizing to yourself the way you feel is the most difficult part.

I agree with Grey, enjoy the journey. Get to know people, make friendships, there is no rush. Discovering your on attractions takes time. Not every date has to end up in something.

I guess what I am trying to say is good luck and enjoy.

greylin and Nancy like this.