Comediennes?

Discussion in 'Lesbian/Bi Celebrities' started by Greg, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Hey all. I'm not positive I'm posting this in the right place—please perhaps bump it if it belongs elsewhere—but after combing the forums I wasn't sure where else to go. I'm a little surprised I've seen little about this little corner of celesbrities, because I do consider them an important portion of the Sapphic population. Maria Bamford—straight comedienne—while playing one of her characters, made a joke about being asked if she was gay. "'Cause I heard a lot of women comedians are gay."

Well, she may not be, but her "character" had a point. There are a few "straight" female comedians who are really good, but most of them make incessant fun of one main thing. I'm sure I don't need to tell you what that is. Not that straight male comics are immune from making fun of women, but at least their material spans whole groups of different things. For the most part. But as for the female ones, quite a few of them I've noticed, of the most successful ilk, happen to be, in fact, gay.

I know there are more than this, but there are at least six I know of that are doing or have done quite well, past or present. Chronologically, the first one's Lily Tomlin, who as of this writing is 76. She has her own little wealth of characters, has been in several pretty decent comedies, and is married to her business, domestic and life partner of over 40 years, Jane Wagner.

The second one to come along clearly needs NO introduction; she's the person after whom this entire web site is named. Two decades of stand-up, one mostly closeted '90s sitcom, another in 2001, her own cadre of increasingly successful films, leading into her daytime talk show, which I will be surprised if that ever comes to a halt. And she also produced One Big Happy...Ellen kind of introduced me to what I've started calling the "one-season lesbian sitcom curse." I doubt I even have to explain it, but make a lesbian the lead star of your sitcom, boom: you're done. Ellen comes out in '97, boom. Cancelled. She tries again in '01, boom. Cancelled. One Big Happy '15, boom. Cancelled. UNLESS of course it's on Showtime or Logo, then apparently it has more of a shot. But the bigger networks? Not so much so far...

Then there are two I don't know quite as much about, but like nonetheless. Kate Clinton, whose humor tends to skew a little more towards the political. Anything political tends to just float over my head. And Georgia Ragsdale, I really like her, but she's a little short of merchandised stuff. One CD I have (Always Forward, Never Straight), and while I'm thinking about her I just Amazon-searched her. Ah, yeah, looks like she has a VHS from the late '90s too. Will have to snap that up now that I've found it...

Then there's Judy Gold, the Jewish one, who makes several more jokes about being a Jew than a lesbian. I was first introduced to her via Comic Relief VII in 1996, did some TV specials and put out her CD seven years later—with most of the same jokes, actually—and is on TruTV's World's Dumbest, though I'm not too crazy about those, to be honest. And now of course, for the last several years, she's been on—er, 'scuse me, Off—Broadway. And of course in the midst of all that she Swapped Wives with Penn Jillette.

And certainly not least but last of these six is Suzanne. (Westenhoefer.) She got started in the early '90s but had already come out way back in 1980 or '81. Stand-up-wise, she also cranked out a couple CDs, a VHS, couple DVDs, and...oh, she was on GSN in 2006 for about...oh, two seconds, on I've Got A Secret. Then I was fortunate enough to find her in the season one DVD of We Have To Stop Now, which introduced me to Jill (Bennett) and Cathy (DeBuono). Lately, I guess she's still doing stand-up. It's what she does, it's what she loves, and I don't imagine she'll be done with it any time soon.

Well, that's what I've got as far as the lesbi-comedians go. Like I said at the beginning, if there are more—well-known or not—that I skipped over, please let me know! Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Oh—slight appension. After this I found the DVD of Laughing Matters, which has two more gay comediennes I didn't mention above, and I ordered it as well. So that'll be cool to check out. ;)