Changing jobs to avoid ex

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Beau_amc, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Beau_amc

Beau_amc Member

Hi ladies
    I'm in a bit of a pickle, I have been at my current job for almost 7 years and like it where I am, good people, good place. The problem is that I still run into a chick that seriously broke my heart, we don't work at the same place but need to go to the same departments for our jobs. She is civil to me but doesn't want anything to do with me and I just can't trust myself to not say hi or make chit chat when I see her.

I have been offered another job that will make it impossible to see her. I haven't accepted it yet. I mainly applied for this new job as a way to escape her as seeing her a few times per weeks is pretty hard and doesn't it help me move on.

I am so unsure if I should take this new job just to avoid her even though I really like where I work. I feel that seeing her is preventing me moving on. I still have feelings for her

2. Narley

Narley Well-Known Member

Can I ask how long ago it was when she broke your heart? And also if you've tried other methods to get over your feelings for her?

3. Beau_amc

Beau_amc Member

The heart break was late feb. we were best friends for about 1.5 years. I had a serious crush on her for months, we slept together for about a month but she never wanted a relationship. It's really hard to see her and know that we are no longer friends, I think that's the hardest part. I still have feelings for her, she doesn't hate me but is just done with the friendship and told me I need to Let go if everything about her. I have tried dating, but it's too soon, I hang out with other friends and try to stay busy.
    Its a sad case of unrequited love

4. Narley

Narley Well-Known Member

Yeah that sucks :/ gosh I still don't know what to advise. This is after all about your career. I think it's wrong that you would have to choose to leave a job you love because of a relationship gone wrong. But at the same time you may actually be happier and possibly professionally and personally by leaving and turning over a new page. I think the devil will be in the details for me. Can this new job offer you something you're not getting at your current job. Other than distance from this girl. Maybe a list of pro's and con's would be a good idea. And do it with a friend (not work friend) who is aware of all the elements but emotionally unattached to the situation. You'll be amazed what that kind of perspective can offer.
    (Edit) or just give your heart a bit more time to heal. Late Feb wasn't that long ago.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    greylin likes this.
  5. Beau_amc

Beau_amc Member

Thanks so much Narley
    I think I am going to stay where I am and just really try to avoid her where possible. I had a good hard think about it today and spoke to some friends. I've been flip flopping my my decision all day. I have to let the new job know tomorrow. Hopefully I don't change my mind again

Narley likes this.