Can I read anything into this?

Discussion in 'Does She Like Me?' started by Waiting4Summer, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Waiting4Summer

Waiting4Summer New Member

Hi All. I'm not sure if I am reading too much into this. I was out with a coworker and as I got off the train she asked me to kiss her. She turned her face slightly so I kissed her on the cheek and she kissed me on the cheek back. I would have taken it as purely a friendly thing as I kiss other people on the cheek in greeting however it was the fact she asked me to give her the kiss. I've never had anyone other than a partner ask me to give them a kiss

2. Frazier

Frazier Well-Known Member

Well,It's in our nature to think of a situation more than we should.I believe that she is comfortable with you for her to have asked you to kiss her.Her boundaries speak to her opening a door to you,a door to me that suggests that she wants to get close to you.In my world,you don't just ask someone to kiss you.That's crossing a line...........she likes you!In which way,however,is the question you will have to answer yourself........

greylin and rainydaze like this.
  3. rainydaze

rainydaze Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is enough information yet to know what this means. I would agree , in my world, unless we were close friends or family, I wouldn't offer my cheek for a kiss..... Maybe a hug for a very dear colleague I have not seen in a while or would not be seeing again for a while if we were parting. Hmmmm.....
    Is there more to this story with the coworker or is this really out of the blue? Are you hoping for more?
    Maybe wait and see?

greylin and Frazier like this.
  4. Waiting4Summer

There have been other things but they are confusing too. In the last 2 weeks she has said 3 particularly confusing things. Once she said "I'm here to support you, think of me as a sister" then she looked at me for my reaction and then started laughing and said "I know you want more" she then hugged me while laughing.

The second thing was, she asked me to show her a pic of the type of girl I liked. When I did, she studied the pic and said "I have a lot of work to do but I can get there and then I'll be able to give her competition".

Then the third thing was she asked about my sexuality (I'm out at work). Then she said "for me it's about the person and not the sex they are".

We have also been spending time out of work together so I don't know if we have become closer and she does see me as a sister like she mentioned above but then I find the other stuff confusing. I think her behaviour has been different towards me than other people we work with, she talks to me more and touches me when we talk. And yes, I want more :)

5. ThenAndNow

ThenAndNow Member

I think she is confused :)

Well, you are out at work and your women colleague seems to be confused about respecting the boundary two co-workers should keep.

The straight co-worker in my office (8 years junior to me) would try to hug me when we are in the elevator, comment about how good I smell and come close to my neck to smell me, ask about what perfume or body wash I use (lols!), comment about my eyes , find some reason to take pictures with me etc. This continued for weeks. I always maintained a distance from her, did not hug her back which discouraged her intention whatsoever it was. She finally stopped (rather give up) behaving that way and now we are just good co-workers and lunch buddies. All is good.

If I were you, I will just keep it platonic and give her a hint that I am not looking for any favor from her and that I may be gay but I don't go to work to find sisters or friends with benefits.

rainydaze, greylin and Frazier like this.
  6. greylin

greylin Well-Known Member

I 2nd ThenAndNow and I do think she is curious but not curious enough to be your girlfriend and not curious enough to play you so she wants to be like a sister and to live vicariously through you. Therefore, she hints and flirts. If it is unwelcome it is harassment, the fact that you want more it is confusing.

If you want to be friends, you can keep it cool like ThenAndNow, or simply say, "Please don't flirt if you don't mean it, it is confusing for a gay person." That way, hopefully, it is your one person Public Service Announcement for those girls who think doing this and not meaning it is just sooooo fun.

I have once read an advice that if one is out at work, straight women would sometimes behave flirtatiously for the entertainment, so please protect yourself emotionally from that type of behavior.

7. ThenAndNow

ThenAndNow Member

Well said, Greylin.

greylin and rainydaze like this.
  8. Coffee Addict

Coffee Addict Well-Known Member

I agree with @greylin take things easy and be cautious. However, I got curious where are you? where is she from?

For example, in some cultures it is common to get a kiss (or two, even three) as a greeting. An I've had people requesting a "greeting" meaning a kiss to say hi. She did give you a kiss back on the cheek.

The only thing clear is that it is confusing.

ridiculous likes this.
  9. Waiting4Summer

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Coffee addict- we are from the UK so a couple of air kisses isn't frowned upon. I think I'm thinking about it more because she has never done it before. We have been alone together when saying goodbye but she was always been dropping me off in her car so she may have felt awkward to ask for a kiss then. This was the first time we were alone and she wasn't driving when saying good bye. Now I'm thinking about whether it was because we were sat in closer proximity than usual and feel more confused after telling you that :D

10. TheScandinavian

TheScandinavian Well-Known Member

In my country is a common thing to see women kissing on the cheeks. I personally wouldn't really think there's something more at this stage. Some people just like to be touched a little more while others would prefer to not be touched at all if possible. so far, i think it's just a friendly act.
    However, you can always try to observe her-does she act the same way around other people? Perhaps she's just got a flirty personality that often gives such vibes when, in reality-her intentions were purely friendly.
    If I were you, I'd try to see how she treats other people and if I am interested, to give it a shot (ONCE I am sure that she's at least bi)

idontknowmyself likes this.
  11. Springflowers

Springflowers Member

So, she kissed you on the 'cheek', will support you as a sister, cares only about the person and not 'the sex'. Hmmm...
    NO, do not read anything into it at all. BTW, the lips are not too far from the cheek, so it is your call ;)

12. Waiting4Summer

Thanks springflowers. Sometimes though the lips feel so close and yet so so far...