Books, Whiskey and everything in between

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by aussie_gabby, Jan 6, 2015.

1. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

So one of the things I've mentioned in a previous post was I was sad to see the old threads and interest sections gone. Mainly because the reason I liked the site so much was being able to talk about like minded things and swap ideas and book/movie/food etc ideas.

So I'm starting this thread!

I found myself in the last couple of years liking things I never thought I would. For instance I was never a big fan of whiskey until I found Lagavulin, the most amazing whiskey there ever was and will be.

I also bought War and Peace a couple of weeks ago to finally read a book off my book bucket list!

Nancy likes this.
  2. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

Here in the US, we call Scotch Whiskey "Scotch." Not sure why, that's just the convention. If you say whiskey to most Americans, they think something different.

I'm not a big scotch drinker, but my wife is. She likes Lagavulin. Actually, she likes a lot of the islays. If it is smokey and peaty, she's there. She also likes Caol Illa, Ardbeg, Ardbeg Corryvrekan, Laphroaig (yeah, I had to look that spelling up) and Tullibardine (even though it's a Highland).

I don't really drink scotch much. Not that I'm against it, but when I drink I usually like to just nurse a pint of Guinness or some Sam Adams. But I don't feel bad buying a little beer, when the wife has those nice scotches!

I'm pretty big into gardening, so most of what I have read lately has been garden related. "How to grow big tomatoes" was informative, but I don't think anyone has it on their bucket list.

Sydney sounds like a very cool city. What kind of stuff do you like to do?

3. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

But can you pronounce Laphroig?

4. Bluenote

Yeah. My wife goes to this liquor store and the owner is awesome. He knows all the scotches (and whiskeys and bourbons) and makes good recommends. I'd be hopeless on my own. (Picking or pronouncing).

Nancy likes this.
  5. aussie_gabby

Australians call it scotch too, me personally, i call it whiskey. Each to their own!

I like Guinness, i even went to to Guinness factory in Ireland but it's too dense for me. Also the saying of the further away you are from Ireland, the worse the Guinness is...; so sometimes it's not the greatest in Aus!

Sydney is an awesome city, but very expensive. I think we rank in the top five most expensive cities in the world?! But it's my home town so i love it.

What i love to do is travel. Unfortunately it's not always affordable but every couple of years i like to try and go somewhere international or at least a week away somewhere. Last year my partner and i went to Vanuatu, it was amazing.

This year i want to try and be able to bake something. I'm no good at baking. I can cook, not a 5 star chef, but i can cook (or at least follow a general recipe and not burn it). So this year i want to be able to bake a cake from scratch or some brownies.... something along that line!

6. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

Baking is so much fun!!!! It's messy and delicious and creative all at once, and brownies are really adaptable, and pretty hard to mess up. Sorry, i get a little overexcited about cakes and baking :)
    It's a really addictive hobby though, I have cupboards full of pans and cookie cutters and fondant icing tools.

And the last book I read was a Martha Stewart cake decorating book (it's pretty sad but very interesting)

LilSnowflake and Bluenote like this.
  7. Bluenote

And @Emm bakes beautiful stuff, I've seen it.

Emm likes this.
  8. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

and it tastes incredible too :)

9. Bluenote

What did you think of Vanuatu? What's your travel bucket list?

10. aussie_gabby

Vanuatu was fantastic. The water was amazing and so clear. The people were extremely friendly. Food and alcohol isn't cheap though so we had an all inclusive package that worked out well.

I lived in London for a while but I got a visa, a plane ticket and went over with no money. I only got to see a few countries.

So I'd like to go and see Greece, Rome, Austria and a few other countries.

I also went to Canada a year and a halfish ago but I didn't get to see Vancover. I'd love to go see Vancouver and Alaska!

11. Bluenote

Austria is pretty amazing.

Alaska is on my list, too.

What countries did you see in Europe?

12. aussie_gabby

I saw England, Ireland, France, Italy and the Czech Republic. So I got to see a bit but not nearly enough!

13. Bluenote

That's a respectable list.

14. aussie_gabby

Thanks :) I also like to see more of US but I'd have to have a hard think about where to go

15. Bluenote

Why? What's hanging you up?

16. aussie_gabby

Well so far I've been to Milwaukee, Chicago, Madison, Boston and NYC.

I think I'd really like Seattle and I wouldn't mind checking out Nashville. But I'd need to figure out other cities/states around Seatttle to make a good trip out of it

17. Bluenote

Chicago, Boston and NYC I get. But why Milwaukee and Madison? And what did you think of Boston and Chicago?

18. Bluenote

You could do Seattle, Bainbridge Island, Portland, Vancouver.

19. aussie_gabby

I use to know someone who lived in Milwaukee. And Madison was just to do with being an hour outside of Milwaukee.

I liked Milwaukee, it's a cool little city. Although I'm not sure I'm a massive fan of the birth west American food. Too much cheese!

20. Bluenote

Umh? Do you mean Midwestern American food?

So you've never had pizza with potatoes on it?