"Blind" date as first date ever?

Discussion in 'Advice on Meeting Women' started by Jingle, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Jingle

Jingle Member

Hiya all ^^

Until recently I was a very, very closeted lesbian teenager. I have just started opening up to people, and at the moment almost all my dear friends know, a couple of their friends know and my parents know. This, along with the fact that I'm only 18 years old and I've never ever had a lovelife before, has gotten me onto completely new territory.

My friend has a really, really cute gay friend. This gay friend is very much closeted and she happens to be the best friend of MY best friend (who doesn't know she's gay). This girl told my friend that she has the feeling that there aren't any nice "girly girls" out there who are gay. Hearing this, my friend decided to play cupid and tell her about me. The girl was immediately very interested and asked if my friend could set us up.

I have never met this girl in person, although I have heard tons of stories including her, and stories about her (and of course I have seen tons of pictures via friends and Facebook). I really think she is a great laugh and I definitely want to meet her to see if there's some sort of connection (whether it be as friends or more). I know for a fact that she also knows a lot about me through stories, which led me to believe that her interest is not solely based on the fact that I'm a gay "girly girl".

However, I have ZERO experience in dating, in meeting girls and in flirting or making a move in general. I want to make a good impression on this girl. This leads up to my question: does anybody have any tips for me?

Thank you for reading all of this and sorry if my post is totally confusing xD

2. lynds126

lynds126 Well-Known Member

lol I think this is a really cute way to meet someone x3 I don't know much about dating girls since my last gf was years ago but I think you should just be yourself and sincere. Try to just have fun; there's no need to get nervous and whatnot.

3. Valium

Valium Member

As cliche as it sounds, just be yourself.

You don't want to be the person who plays games, only to have the other find out later on that it's not who you really are.

Don't be afraid to ask questions about her interests, be genuine, crack a few (lame) jokes, don't be shy to compliment her for the things you think deserve praise. Personally, the best dates I've had are the times when I've not looked at the situation as a "date", but tried my best to get to know the person on a platonic level. Throwing the nerve-wracking emotions attached to the word "date" makes me more comfortable, and I was able to be the goofball I really am. It creates an atmosphere that you both can enjoy and open up in. It makes for a great time, regardless if you decide you'd like to see her again!

Good luck! :)

4. Jingle

Jingle Member

Thanks for responding Lynds and Valium! ^^

I don't want to come over as "nervous and whatnot", but I think I will get nervous. I'm not the most social person and I don't make conversation easily. Because my friend set us up, I don't know what she would like to see (I don't see myself as a "girly girl" and according to my friend that's what she is looking for) and because she is one of the best friends of my best friend, my unconscious is telling me that I HAVE to make sure I make a good impression.

Playing games is something I also really don't want to do. I want her to know the real me, but I don't know if we have got anything to talk about if I'm being truly honest and straightforward. She's a dancer and she spends about 60 hours a week on dancing, while I don't care that much for dancing at all (and I suck in it, but if it works out I guess she can learn me ;D). The last time I was a bit interested in dancing, it was because Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman were the ones that were doing it xD

I do want to make sure that she feels comfortable and I am genuinely interested in her, so I guess that'll go fine. I also plan on not making our "date" so official, because she is still closeted and it might even be a greater braincracker for her as it is for me. It is about 80 degrees over here and she lives near a nice ice cream bar, I thought that might be a good idea. However, if we do that, there's a huge chance we'll meet some people that we both know. Maybe this "problem" is fixable by just getting some ice cream and to just go for a nice walk so we can talk casually. Me and my friends often talk in playgrounds, would that be a nice suggestion? There's one half a mile from the ice cream bar ^^.

5. J

J Well-Known Member

I guess I'm late on this one to give you advice. Did you go on the date? If you did, how did it go? I thought your suggestion sounded cute and casual btw, if that matters at this point lol.