Being A Lesbian

Discussion in 'Surveys and Questionnnaires' started by KatOlivia20s, Dec 18, 2016.

1. KatOlivia20s

KatOlivia20s New Member

I created a profile just so that I could post this question and see what replies I would get. I understand that being a Lesbian woman is different from being a Bi Woman, or a Pan Woman, or anything else. That's why I feel the need to be specific and ask, what does it mean to literally only like girls? Is it different from being open to all or some of the other genders, including women? Is the lifestyle unique? Do Lesbian woman all have certain traits, preferences, desires, etc. in common? What does it mean to you to be a gay woman?

2. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

I don't really know how to answer this question, seeing as I have only every been a lesbian. Any assumptions I made about pan women would probably be stupid and off base.

No, all lesbians do not have certain traits, etc... Anymore than all white people do certain things. Painting everyone with that broad of a brush is simplistic at best and stereotyping at worst. There is no one way to be a dyke.

What does it mean to me? I came out at a time when gay people were not widely accepted. I have lived through the gay rights movement (which still continues). I went from being bullied as a kid, to being an adult who married another woman and no one thinks it is a big deal.

To me, a lot of that is from the power of coming out. When people - lots of ordinary people - came out, it became very hard to demonize gays. Of course it took smart legal strategy and organizations like GLAAD and the HRC. But popular acceptance of queers definitely influenced judicial opinions.

3. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

What does it mean to be a lesbian?? I'm not sure if this is a joke or not.

There's no one type or one sense or one exclusive community where you can only associate with fellow carpet munchers. And do we all have the same desires...yeah, that comes with the territory.. We like females.
    Jesus....This is like asking what it's like to be a human being

Personally...it means I get to wake up and see the girl I'm crazy in love with and I want to marry (when Australia bothers to legalise it) with the killer curves and soft lips and cute kid.