Australia

Discussion in 'Travel' started by yoo-yoo, Nov 6, 2014.

1. yoo-yoo

yoo-yoo Well-Known Member

Hi!

I'm gonna travel around Australia for a month in december/january. All I know is that I'm gonna start in Sydney and go back home from Brisbane.

So if anyone have any tips of things to see or do, where to go and so on, (or if you want to show me around) I would really appreciate it :)

2. insidemyself

insidemyself Member

Def. go to Bundaberg. And try the sugar cane juice.
    And Agnes Water. It's beautiful there.
    The Blue Mountains...

I could go on. If you have questions. Want to know more. Just write me an email (I'm not here that often) [email protected]

I don't live in Australia. But I did your part on my route when I was there.

3. Leonharte

Leonharte New Member

Both Bundaberg and Agnes are north of Brisbane, if you were doing a Sydney to Brisbane scope. Bundaberg is nothing special, having lived there myself, it's got a rum distillery and turtle hatching, which is not in season Dec/Jan. Agnes/1770 is a pretty spot sure, but most of the coast of QLD/NSW is. If I had a month in Aus, having never lived here, and irregardless of budget, I'd make sure I saw Sydney, Melbourne, Uluru, then bus north to south on the QLD coast Cairns to Byron Bay. Backtrack back up to Brisbane for your departure. Maybe WA or Adelaide in there somewhere.

4. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Jaysus...don't go to bundaberg. It's one of the shittiest places in oz.

Melbourne is lovely...some hidden gems on the well travelled east coast such as places like maroochydore.

Anything north of sydney and the locals get a bit mulleted n gap toothedy, so travel fast and stay touristy up those parts. Lots of casual work up north which is why most people go there...including bundaberg. The south is a little less jaded re backpackers and there r lovely places to live/work/ hang out in the countryside north of adelaide. All the west is gentle, remote and kinda hippish cool vibes.

Bluenote and Nancy like this.
  5. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

Melbourne is lovely. Wine country around Melbourne is lovely. I'll ask my Aussie friend for more and get back to you.

Do you like to do specific things? Art museums? Hiking? Watching sports? Going to pubs? Going to gay bars? That'll help with recommends.

6. Bluenote

OK, asked my Aussie friend. Here was her reply.

She mostly seconded what @Moses said. Though she was more tactful about Queensland - there's nice places there, there's not so nice places there, but stick to the touristy stuff.

She said Sydney - The main events, like the harbor and Sydney Opera House are worth a look. If you're into beaches, hit Bondi. For the major cities she said ask at your Hotel and the City Information. There's usually some kind of event going on, they can tell you about it.

She said that Melbourne was lovely. Guess there are a lot of bars and cafe's there, it is know for it's high quality coffee. It's a good place to find out about local events and just go out and be in the environs.

She also recommended the Yarra Valley. It's wine country - beautiful, plenty of good tours go there. Oz wine is quite good, but they keep some of the best all for themselves.

She recommended going up to the North Territory. She said it is the most beautiful territory, but different from the rest of Oz culturally. So a must see. She recommended Kakadu, Katherine's Gorge and The Kimberleys. As spectacular natural scenery. NT is focused on preservation.

In Queensland she said Port Douglas. But She said Queensland is second to only North Territory beauty wise, but again, stick to the touristy stuff. You can get to the Great Barrier Reef and rainforests from there. (WTF, I didn't know Oz had rainforests). She said it was beautiful up there, worth a look. But Queensland is not as into preservation, so if you have to pick between NT and Q, go with NT.

She said skip Bundaberg, the only thing there is the distillery. Not worth it.

There you have it.

7. pikatan2

pikatan2 Well-Known Member

ohhh I'm visiting Melbourne next year<3 I cnt wait for another kangaroo Steak <3 xx

8. yoo-yoo

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I've actually lived outside Brisbane for 13 month a few years back so I've seen the great barrier reef already, didn't go all the way up to Cairns tho, just Airlie Beach.

I've also been to Sydney for a few days so I've seen the tourist stuff there, also went to the Blue Mountains so I guess I'm more looking for like the hidden gems and stuff in Sydney.

Melbourne is a given! A friend of a friend had been living there for awhile so she gave me a list of things to do and see :)

9. despicably-delirious

Definitely hit New Town in Sydney. Its where lesbians can be spotted! But it's also a really cool area with awesome unique shops and a chilled out vibe. If you like kayaking or are up for a fun day trip there's a dude in Rose Bay who hires out kayaks for 20/30 dollars an hour and you can kayak out to shark island, leave the kayak there for a bit and have a picnic. There's great views of the harbour bridge from there. From Rose Bay you can get a bus to Watson's bay which has really nice views and an excellent fish and chip place!

There's a costal walk route from Bondi to Coogee beach which is really nice (one year they had an exhibit along the way) and you can often see whales if you're lucky from there. Botanic Gardens is always nice to walk through, it has an entrance just by the opera house

Darling Harbour is a really nice place to unwind for some cocktails (you can always find a happy hour somewhere along there as its expensive!) and they have a firework show around there every Saturday night.

There's always a market somewhere. I think there's one in Surry Hills quite often.

And if you're lucky you might catch one of Sydney's many festivals. I think you just missed Newtown festival. Its always amazing but there should be stuff on around Darling Harbour this time of year. Keep an eye out.

If you're there for Australia Day (26th January) head down to Botanic Gardens early enough to get a good spot to see the fireworks. If you've anything else you're curious about, send me a message. I lived there for two years and it is my favourite city in the world. Waaay better than Brisbane!

PS If you haven't already done it, Fraser Island is definitely worth a view!!

10. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

Take the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly beach. It's about 30 minutes and gives you spectacular harbour views.

Botanical Gardens is a must and one of my favourite places in Sydney.

Go to Glebe for some great restaurants and Newtown for the Lesbian scene (as much as there is one in Sydney).

Finally, if you like whiskey, cocktails or just a funky bar, go to Baxters Inn. It's a bit hard to find so I'd suggest googling it. Also it gets pretty packed so id stop in early!

11. Bluenote

Oooh ping @Emm . Aussie contingent.

12. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

13. yoo-yoo

Thanks for all the tips! I completely forgot to check this site out while I was over there but I managed to fill my time :) Yeah I missed Australia day by one day, not really good planning from my side :/