Any travel nomads out here?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Dreamcatcher, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher Member

Too bad most of the travel threads are sluggish...but still worth taking a shot.

Backpacking, anyone?

2. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

I used to be a working nomad although I think now the fancy title is digital nomad. Is that what you mean? Or you're just after fellow backpackers?

3. Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher Member

Anyone who loves travelling for whatever reason :)

I am surrounded by people who look at me incredulously whenever I mention my fantasy of quitting work and just going on long term travel. Should be great to hear from those who experienced/experiencing it first hand.

Well, someday.

invincible likes this.
  4. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

That's an awesome fantasy. I met someone who did just that. I met him while I was travelling and then he stayed with me and my family. Pretty cool person. =)

5. Letizia

Letizia New Member

I would like to do that :) It would be totally awesome, meeting new people and learning from different culture! One day for sure I'll travel all around the world :)

6. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

I don't know how old you are and how good you are at learning new skills, however have you considered actually gaining skills and experience in a role that would allow you to achieve your dreams? I stumbled upon the whole working while travelling thing when I was a teenager on the Lonely Planet forums. It just sounded so amazing and I contacted one of the people who had a website about being a digital nomad. Et voila - I became one for a while. It was great! I loved every moment of it!

7. Tamara05

Tamara05 Member

would absolutely love to do something like this.. just recently got back from Europe about a month ago and im ready to just quit my job and travel America! but then comes the issue of not wanting to leave when it all ends...

if only it were easier to live in different countries for a few years at a time!

8. Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher Member

Life got in the way the recent months, just remembered to login here again.

How are the travels bugs? :)

9. Sandra92024

Sandra92024 Member

Hey, I'm actually in Australia, originally from France. I mainly work but travel here and there. Planning China for August, shark diving sometimes after that, New Zealand maybe January and hopefully Asia Summer 2016!! where do you wanna go??

10. Tamara05

Tamara05 Member

still dreaming about taking off and just travelling DreamCatcher. How has your backpacking idea come along?

11. Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher Member

Still an idea unfortunately. I can only have two weeks max off from work. It's one of those things that gets shelved for some time.

A couple of short trips lined up soon which should tide me over.

12. losangeles_lez

I LOVE traveling. Definitely want to see more of Asia. I get several weeks off each year, but it's hard finding someone who also has that kind of time & the money to do it. I've been to the PI, Singapore, Italy, Indonesia. Top of my list right now is Thailand. Also want to see Hong Kong & Japan.

13. AlxSavage

AlxSavage New Member

How sweet to find this thread! I just posted a new one looking for people in Europe, my gf and I are digital nomads and since last year, we've been spending at least half of the time away from home, finding new places and meeting new people.

Fortunately, remote working is becoming more and more regular for all kind of companies, also freelancing from the road is a great options.

We'd definitely love to share experiences, tips and of course, have arms wide open for anyone planning to come to Mexico :)

14. Flashover

Flashover Member

Hi everyone. Fellow lover of travel here! Looking at hopefully getting back out there exploring again when my lease is up in July.

15. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

Where are you looking to travel?

16. Flashover

Flashover Member

That is one of the things I am trying to narrow down. Honestly there are so many places I want to see that it gets a bit daunting trying to decide. I have a friend living in Scotland though so I am thinking about starting there and doing a rail pass to see other parts of Europe as well. I did a semester in Italy and loved it. I would love to go back there at some point.
    There are so many places though. I should probably set up a world map and just throw a dart at it to help me decide. :)

17. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

I went on a Eurotrip late last year. Started in Prague and ended in London. with countries in between like Italy, France, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium and Germany, I would say Europe is an amazing place to go and visit. I will go back to Prague this year as I fell in love with the place and straight to Norway for the Northern lights chase (fingers crossed to tick this in my bucketlist). I also like London but it was dark and rains often. Although the night scene was fun. But my London highlight would be the 20 years queer tour by Garbage concert I went to in Brixton. It was an amazing trip!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Tamara05 and aussie_gabby like this.
  18. aTaurean

aTaurean Member

I am planning on another Costa Rica trip, this time to explore the Caribbean side and raft the Río Pacuare.

Jane Doe likes this.
  19. Keep It Real

Keep It Real Member

I’d like to visit the Redwood National Park, but my indoor wife wouldn’t.

20. Flashover

Flashover Member

If I visited the Red Woods I'd have to run as fast as I can through the trees making Star Wars speeder sounds.

aussie_gabby likes this.