The tears

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Kitchen ninja, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

Hey everybody, I started writing this a while ago and I'm hesitating on whether or not i should continue writing it. It's complete fiction, there is a kind of love story in it, although it's not the focus. I'll post the beginning, I'd love to hear what someone else thinks of it as I'm the only one who has read it so far. Writing is only something I do for fun so there may be a lot of structural errors in the story or inconsistencies. I'm open to all feedback!! Thanks for reading!

2. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

Not many people my age remember the day of the tears. The day five different worlds collided at once. Many say the tears came to be because of the metal world’s complete disregard for the environment. That their cars and polluting industries caused the linings of the worlds to thin and eventually rip. My father has been studying them ever since they first appeared. Since my mom died he hasn’t really done anything else. The day of the tears was the day my mother did not come home. She taught at the school two harvests from where we lived. Despite our home being in the gathering colony, my mother and father both worked outside our area. Everyday I would walk home alone and go to our neighbor’s, where I would spend an excruciating three hours with Haley Falkner. We get along now that were older though and she has begun to mature. We have a few teachings together; hunting, harvest theory and swimming. We haven’t been to a swimming class all year. Swimming is a skill I can do without. There is very little ocean in our world. Outsiders call our world the green world. The metal world has tons of water, but none compare to the blue world. There are only small patches of land in their world, or so I've heard.

The tear to the blue world is the closest to where I live. There are two tears. One slices the corn harvest precisely in half. If you look on the horizon it looks as if gold is sprouting from the ground and right in the middle of the field, there is a wedge of light blue sky and ocean that seems to go on forever. The harvest tear is minimal compared to the one up the hill two harvests over. Sometimes when Haley and I would skip swimming, we would brave the two-hour trek though the underbrush to be able to look through the tear. What was once a giant waterfall of saltwater, rocks, sand and coral is now merely a gaping bluish green hole in the sky, slightly different from the color of the actual sky. The floating tear reminds me of my mother. On the day of tears water came pouring out of the sky and killed half the people in our already small colony. Including my mother. As if the heavens had opened up and set nature loose. I t took more than two weeks for the water to stop. A week after the flood, the soldiers from the metal world came through the harvest tear. They carried machines none of us had ever seen. Everyone hoped they were here to help us. Help us move the colony, fix the damage from the flood or tend to the injured. It was clear why they were here on the fourth day after their arrival when and elderly man rose to question the presence of those from the metal world. He was shot on site. The soldier who killed him then publicly burned his body in the square, the only place in the village high enough to avoid complete flooding. Everyone had gathered there to avoid the flood and watched as the man's body melted away, filling the air with the stench of burning hair and flesh. As people attempted to avoid breathing altogether, the soldier stood in the middle of the square until the fire was out.

No words have ever been spoken between our two worlds without resulting in death. After that more soldiers came through the harvest tear. The tear remains, the bottom of a shallow ocean floating in the sky, but no water flows from it. Its as if there is an invisible barrier over the tear. Haley and I could never figure out what was keeping all that water out. On our hikes, Haley and I would go to the very top of the hill and stare at it for hours. Everything we threw at it hit the invisible barrier and made a sound similar to two pieces of hollow wood hitting each other. She always said that’s what it sounded like when she knocked on my head. I will forever appreciate her sense of humor. She had enough good humor for both of us, whereas I lacked enough for even half a person. I inherit my serious demeanor from my father. He had a logical approach to every situation. Universal theory was somewhat of a hobby for him. It slowly became an obsession after mom was killed in the flood. He has meticulously studied the tears for the past twelve years of his life, and mine. A life he has been particularly oblivious to for the past year. He hasn’t paid attention to me for a long time but this past year has definitely been the worst. I had the misfortune of losing both my parents when I was five. My mother lost her life and my father his mind. He would have surely taken his own life had I not been around, and so young.

Sometimes I ask him about his work. He has never shared any concrete information with me. He usually only mumbles a few incoherent things to me. Singular words, out of place. I’m not sure he is even aware I am in the same room as him. He stays in his study all day and when he isn’t there, he wanders around the house like he’s looking for something. Every so often he finds what he spends hours looking for. It definitely something small because when he does find it I can never figure out what it is.

Every day for the past nine years has been the same. The same routine. Each morning I get up, I eat alone, pack my bag and walk to school. Today is different from the rest.

“I made you breakfast”, he said as he gestured to the bowl of wheat.

“…Thank you, is that my bag?”

“Yes I packed your bag as well, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Um, no, that’s fine. Is something wrong?” I asked as I sat down across from him.

“Eat your breakfast and then we’ll talk.”

He placed the sugar beside my bowl, as he had always done when I was younger.

It has been nearly nine years since my father has made me breakfast or even come out of his study to see me off to school. He took care of things until I was almost seven and then slowly eased me into independence. By the time I turned seven he didn’t even come out of his study to say goodbye.

I decided not to question his behavior and began to eat. I attempted to avoid eye contact but occasionally I would glance in his direction and find him looking directly at me. He looked just like he did when I was young, as if nothing had ever happened, as if my mother was going to walk out of their bedroom at any moment. I knew she would never come out of that room again. Never smile at me or hug me again. Never again fix all my problems simply by telling me everything would be all right. I missed my mother more than anything. I wish I had known her more and often daydreamed about what it would be like to still have her around to keep me safe, but my father never spoke of her. As I finished eating, he cleaned up, keeping my bag close by him. No doubt in an attempt to stifle a premature departure. I had no intention of leaving this moment. Although he had spoken to me very little, it was comforting to see my father acting normally. When he had finished cleaning, he sat down across from me and placed the bag on the table between us.

“Michaela, I want you to listen to what I’m about to say very carefully”, his voice cracked but steadied. He sounded as if he was in pain. His eyes were locked on mine, digging deep inside me. He no longer looked like the father I once had. I had been a long time since I had actually looked at my father and seen him. He resembled a tired old man, a person who had been spread to thin for to long.

3. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

I might be able to post some more later tonight.

4. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

“Today is a very important day for everyone, he said, there is a reason I packed your bag for you.”

He pulled the bag closer to his chest as he spoke again.

“You must do exactly as I tell you. After school today you will go to the Halkner’s as you do every other day. When you see me come home tonight, do not come home. Do you understand?”

As I nodded I could feel knots begin to form in my stomach.

“Good. You will not open this bag until you arrive at the Halkner’s tonight. Your schoolbooks are with Haley, she will give them to you at school. It is imperative you not open this bag in front of anyone. Understand?”

The reality of his words began to sink in and I could feel the panic slowly seeping into my bloodstream. I felt a strong urge to question him, on everything, his work, my mother, the contents of the bag. I felt time running out, but I knew all my questions would go unanswered. He had taken time out of his day to explain this and this only.

“You will go to school and attend all your classes. Keep the bag with you at all times. Now, no matter what you see tonight, you must not return home. Understand?”

I tried to reply a confident yes, but when I opened my mouth nothing came out.

“Michaela, I want you to remember that I love you, more than anything. I know I haven’t been there for you in a long time and I’m sorry. Its my biggest regret.”

He stood and narrowed the space between us and placed his hands on my shoulders.

“I know it’s to late for me to make up for it, but I want you to know you are and always have been the most important thing in my life.”

I didn’t want to hear the words he was saying.

“Its not to late dad, we can work on it, I’ll help you”, I said urgently as I attempted to push away his words. Push away the message he was trying to get through.

His face softened as I spoke and he became the man he used to be. The man he was when he had my mother with him. He looked in my eyes and hugged me as tightly as he could.

It was over to soon for me and I held on. He walked me to the door still holding my bag. He told me to wear my hiking boots today because I had harvest theory in the afternoon. I put my shoes on as slowly as possible. This was the first sane conversation I had had with my father in a very long time. I hadn’t realized how much I missed him and how lonely I was until this moment. As I finished tying my second bootlace, I felt my eyes begin to swell with tears. I knew that this meant goodbye. I could feel it. I could see it in his eyes. I tried to hide my tears but it was to late. He brought his hand up to wipe them from my face, handed me my bag and pulled me in for one more hug. He leaned down and kissed my forehead.

“You have to get going or you’ll be late”, he said.

I nodded. I didn’t have enough strength to speak. I put my hand on the door, I turned around to look at my father and found myself already missing him. I opened the door, stepped outside and quickly closed it behind me. I couldn’t bring my self to begin walking to school right away. I leaned my back against the door, sank to the ground and tried to force the overwhelming despair back down inside myself.

As I finally stood to go to school, the need to see my father one last time overcame his instruction to arrive at school punctually. As I looked through the window of the den, I saw him kneeling in front of the fireplace. At first I was confused but then I understood. He had built a fire in the den for a reason. He was burning his work, all his years of research that I knew nothing about. Now I would never know. There were several boxes that I had never seen before that he had most likely taken from his study stacked beside him. Every box had the same word inscribed upon it, Scalen. A word that meant absolutely nothing to me, although I recall hearing him mumble something similar in one of his rants a little while ago.

As my father turned towards the window to take more papers to feed his fire, I turned and quickly started walking to school to avoid completely breaking down and bursting into tears. I could not look into those blue eyes without crying now; I would have to avoid my reflection from now on. That was one thing that made me look like my father; my eyes were the exact same color. Light blue with dark gray around the iris. He always told me I looked exactly like my mother except for that detail. He said her eyes were a deep brown, almost black.

The walk to school seemed overly long and exhausting compared to the hundreds of times before. Mostly because of my strenuously slow pace due to my first class being swimming, this would be the first class I had attended since we started swimming. As well as knowing that every step I took away from my house was another step away from my dad. He may not have been there for me but I didn’t want to lose him and I felt like I just had. Before I even had time to wonder where Haley was she came jogging up beside me wearing her schoolbag and carrying my books. Which made me wonder what was in my bag. It weighed basically the same as it always did, but Haley was holding every one of my schoolbooks. But I knew I couldn’t open it until tonight when I was on my own.

“Hey”,she said. Her tone was less optimistic sounding than usual. She must know something, I thought. I had no intention of sharing the events of my unusual morning with her just yet.

“Your dad asked me to bring your books today, said you had to bring some extra things to school.” She said, as she became herself again.

“But you know, they’re really heavy, it’s going to cost you.”

“I bet, I replied as normally a possible, when have you ever done me a favor for free?”

“Hmmm, I can’t think of any,she said as she rolled her eyes, listen, I really think we should go to swimming today. You know, just to see. You never know right?”

“I agree, we should go to at least one class…”

My father had told Haley something he had not told me. Definitely. She hated swimming class more than anyone, even me. I never understood why but she had been the one who convinced me to skip with her in the first place.

We finished the walk to school in silence, each of us inside our own heads. Haley looked relatively proud of herself. She must have thought she had convinced me to go to swimming all on her own.

5. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

There must have been a reason my father had told me to got to all of my classes today. He must have known by now that I always skipped swimming. Haley knew why, I could tell. She is the absolute worst liar. I once told her I had cheated in harvest theory on the plant identification exam, the teacher knew an hour later. She was already suspicious because I had gotten everything right, so when she went after Haley there was no stopping her. I made a point of acing every exam since then and am now her favorite student. Needless to say I have not told her a secret since, even though she swears it wasn’t her fault.

As we came up to Yellow Lake for swimming I could see the teacher squinting confusedly in our direction, as if we were a mirage. I think I could learn to love Yellow Lake again. It's small and completely bordered by yellow friesens. When you come at the right time of day, just before the sunset, the lake looks completely yellow because of the light. Haley and I came almost every day when we were kids. Now it just reminds me of what I've lost.

Swimming class was rather painless but remained slightly embarrassing when I learned that Haley had been taught to swim by her father before he was killed in the flood. The flood was really the only reason we had swimming lessons. As she leisurely tread water, I was virtually chained to a piece of floating driftwood they used for beginners. Being the only beginner in the class, it was not the best moment for me, but judging by the morning I had, it would probably not be my worst.

All three of my classes were with Haley today. After swimming the rest of the day was very quiet. Haley and I only spoke when necessary and I spoke to no one else. I watched the day pass as if it were not real. The hunting teacher did not question my lack of mental awareness nor did Haley question my decision to take my schoolbag everywhere I went. I clung to it as if it were my most valuable possession without even knowing what was inside. To be honest I didn’t want to know. Looking inside felt like accepting goodbye.

We walked home at the same slow pace as in the morning. I was in no hurry to see what my father was anticipating.

As we came up to the path I could see my house at the end of the street, right in front of Haley’s. It seemed so warm and inviting, it was really the only place I felt completely safe…

“Hey! said Haley as she waved her right hand in front of my face, I was talking to you!”

“I can teach you how to swim if you want, you know, without clinging to driftwood for dear life.” She laughed at her own joke.

“You’ve been waiting all day to say that haven’t you?” I said.

“Ya, I have actually. And the first time you weren’t even listening!”

I tried to smile and laugh but it was hardest to lie to Haley. We were both quiet until we reached her house. Her mother had never been happier to see me than today.

6. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

“Michaela! Honey how are you? How was school today you two? Haley take her books to your room! I hope you’re hungry because I made a big dinner for everyone. I bought two chickens from the market today.”

“I’m starving”, I said without realizing it was a completely accurate statement. I hadn’t eaten all day. Two chickens would be worth at least a week of work for Haley’s mother. It’s hard to support four children on one person’s harvest pay. When her husband died, Lily took an extra harvesting day. I don’t actually know which harvesting section she works in but they always have apples. Workers are allowed to take home one basket of the harvest each week.

“Do you want an apple? I brought them home this morning”, she said.

“Sure”, I responded, taking the largest one in an attempt to reduce my appetite. I had eaten more than my share of the Halkner’s food over the years. Haley was smiling when she returned from her room, her younger brother Caleb close behind. As she walked towards I noticed how green her eyes were. A window into the calm green forest she felt so at home in. They did not match her chocolate brown hair, whereas her brother’s eyes matched his blond hair perfectly. He was a miniature version of Haley, save for his hair color. When we were very young Haley’s hair was even more blond than Caleb’s, Haley grew out of her blond hair but Caleb’s stayed. Haley and Caleb have a two-year age difference and their twin sisters are a year younger than Caleb. In terms of age, I fit perfectly between the two.

Haley was holding a handmade wooden box with vine paintings on it. I recognized the paintings as Lily’s handiwork. She had painted a whole wall in their house in the same pattern a very long time ago. It was beginning to fade over time.

“You didn’t think I had forgotten did you?” She said as she handed me the box.

I wasn’t sure what she was talking about at first, and then it dawned on me.

“You didn’t forget your own birthday did you? Your turning 18 come on!”

I had. I had forgotten. I hated my birthday. I shared it with my mother and have been avoiding it all my life. My father was the only person I allowed to wish me happy birthday.

“I know you hate your birthday, but, this is a special one. Please don’t be mad.”

“I, I’m not. It’s ok. Just this one though…” I responded.

Haley stepped forward and handed me the box. It was surprisingly light for its size. As I opened the top something inside caught the reflection of the sun through the window. Inside of the box was the most beautiful knife I had ever seen. The handle was made of Hacher wood, a wood almost as dark as earth, the blade double edged from the tip continued into the handle. The end of the handle was a silver half sphere. Under the dagger was a leather belt the same color as the wood.

“Well do you like it? Say something”, Haley said uncertainly.

“It’s beautiful Haley, how did you get this?”

“I made it. I’ve been working on it all year, Caleb helped to.”

“I can’t take this. You need to keep it. Its yours”, I said, trying to hand her the box as she backed away.

“No Michaela, I made it for you, don’t make me take it back, I want you to have it. The belt wont even fit me and your initials are on it.”

As I took a second look at the wooden handle I recognized my initials on the hilt. M.R, Michaela Rawclen.

“Just like your mother you are. Always giving never wanting anything in return, said Lily, that’s not the only present we have for you. Your father asked me to give you this.”

She walked towards me with her left hand slightly extended. Hanging from her finger was a silver chain with a silver ring on it.

“He told me he had given this to your mother when she was eighteen. He promised to replace it with a gold one when he had the money and he kept his word. When he finally gave her the gold ring, she just couldn’t let this one go.”

It was the chain my mother had worn when I was young and the chain my father has been wearing ever since she died, until now. It was all he had left of her, apart from me.

I looked down as Lily put the chain over my head. As I saw the silver ring fall on my chest my eyes began to fill with tears. I couldn’t bear to look up. A single tear ran down my cheek and fell into the box I was still holding.

7. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

“Alright you two, lets go! I need some help in the kitchen! I can’t do everything! Lets give Michaela a minute.”

He was going to die. My father was going to die. Leave me here all alone. My sadness was quickly replaced with anger. How could he do this to me? He was never there for me, always so selfish; all he cared about was his research. He didn’t love me. I could feel the anger building inside me. I had to see him. Make him understand. He would be back by now. I carefully put down the box without making any noise. I could hear Haley and her family in the kitchen. I would be back before they noticed I was gone. I stepped through the living room to the entrance and opened the door as quietly as I could. I waited to see if anyone had heard; when no one came I stepped out and closed the door. It made a slight click. Haley could hear a sound like that from 500 feet away. I turned and started running diagonally towards my house. I was nearly half way there when she caught my wrist. Haley was much stronger than me and easily restrained me as I attempted to injure her in any way I could think of.

“Stop Michaela. Stop it! You can’t go over there, you know that.”

It took me a few seconds to realize that I was sobbing uncontrollably. I was holding on to Haley so tightly I thought I might be suffocating her. I could feel all the heartache I had been holding in all day, all my life, pouring out. As if each teardrop was a small piece of sorrow I had kept locked inside my heart. She held me close as I came undone. She led me back into the house slowly but I kept my eyes closed.

The light behind my eyelids dimmed as we entered the house. Background noises of worried whispers filled my ears but remained far away noises. I had never before felt so sad and at the same time so safe. Haley gently laid me down on her bed and sat beside me.

“I’m sorry. I won’t leave you”, she said as she touched my cheek with the back of her hand whiping away the leftover tears. I instinctively put my hand into hers. She stayed with me for what felt like hours until I finally fell asleep.

8. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

If you guys have any feedback or criticisms I'm open to it!

9. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

My eyes slowly opened as Haley shook me. As things came into focus the expression on her face became clear. Panic.

“Michaela! Get up! Its time, now!” She yelled, her eyes wide with urgency.

“What are you saying?” I could barely hear her over the noise. Her house was alive with voices and footsteps. That was not the only noise. The sound of pounding feet, clinking metal and helicopters rang through the halls and shook the furniture.

“LET’S GO!” She yelled as loud as she could. This time it was clear. I jumped up and pulled on my boots.

“We need to leave by the back, she said, where is the dagger?”

I looked to my left where the box was.

“Put it on. You may need it.”

I secured the belt tightly around my waist and slid the dagger into its holster. Haley grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the room towards the back door. As I ran behind her I noticed that the backpack she was wearing looked so full it was about to burst. My backpack. I had forgotten it in Haley’s room. I pulled my hand from hers and turned towards her room. My pack was on the floor underneath the window. As I stepped towards the window to get my bag, I looked through to see what was happening. I froze as I became witness to the source of all the noise. Nearly one hundred metal world soldiers, with others arriving by the minute, stood in the path that separated the houses on either side. The helicopter lights were focused on one house in particular. Mine.

My view out the window only lasted about one or two seconds but it was long enough. Haley's hand closed around my wrist and jerked me towards the back door.

“Rawclen. We know your inside. Surrender and spare yourself. You have one minute. If you have not given yourself up by then, we will enter your home.”

His voice echoed through space unanswered. Every window along the path had a face in its corner. Worried, confused, curious. I couldn’t tell.

"We have to hurry, she said, there isn’t much time."

We ran out the back door and headed towards the woods behind her house. We had walked through these woods many times before but this time was different. Branches and twigs scratched our faces and exposed legs as we ran through the path we had made as a shortcut for school.

"We need to get the tear, we need to get through while all of the metal world soldiers are still back there. Your dad told me we would have no more than ten minutes and it's already been six. If they find us, were dead."

Gentry likes this.
  10. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

I had known where we were going before Haley even said anything. This was our window to get out. I still had no idea what we were getting out of, but i knew we had to get out. Get out of the green world. Get as far away from the metal world soldiers as we could. They were almost inaudible now, we were getting close to the tear, hopefully unguarded, I could almost smell the ocean. I loved taking this shortcut because it was so close to the tear, when we went by we could smell the saltwater and feel the ocean breeze from the field. We came to the fork and went left instead of right like we usually do to go to school. This path was much smaller and was much less clear. I could feel the spiny branches of the cockle trees cutting my skin. We were almost there. I could see the small blue sliver of water, only about 500 steps away. We were in the field now. Then the loudest sound I have ever heard, a sound like an explosion, echoed through the entire village. I stopped to turn and look behind me, Haley seemed to be expecting it, she was not surprised and did not stop.

"Let's GO! she said, hurry up!"

I started running again. Trying to catch up to Haley is like trying to catch up to a running mortolan, impossible. I could barely see her now. Only her shadow against the blue ocean of the tear, it was the middle of the day there. I was almost there when she suddenly disappeared. I stopped and went into the hay on the left and hid. I waited what felt like an eternity until I heard a low thud.

"Come now Michaela", Haley said as the wind muffled her voice through the long stalks of yellow gold brush.

I slowly stood then quickly broke into a run towards the tear. Hailey was waiting for me. We could hear people running through the woods yelling to each other. I have seen the tear many times before but never this close. As we stepped through our boots landed in shallow ocean water and sand. Ocean surrounded us completely now except for the tear into the world we were leaving behind. Our home. Maybe we would never see it again, but we had no choice now. They were coming, fast. A small boat was docked in the sand that we stood on. Haley was already getting in.

"Get in", she said, as she extended her hand towards me.

11. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your story Kitchen Ninja. How old is the protagonist?

12. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

Hey! Thanks for reading, she has just turned 18.

13. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

You're welcome! And whoops for some reason I thought she was still 7 or just a tad bit older than that...

14. jellohead

jellohead Well-Known Member

More please!

Kitchen ninja likes this.
  15. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

I took it and stepped into the wooden boat. It was one oval piece of wood, perfectly smooth. Silver adorned the edges of the boat and in the middle of each side two hoops holding two long metal oars. Haley quickly pushed off the bank we were on and started rowing away, around the tear. As we went around I expected to see the tear on the other side as well, but there was nothing. It could only be seen from one side. The oars shone in the sun, much brighter than our own. They looked heavy, Haley was rowing very fast now. She seemed to know where she was going despite the blue ocean that surrounded us. I looked up towards the sun but instead saw two small suns spinning around each other.

As we distanced ourselves from the tear, we could hear feet splashing into the water and confused voices. It wouldn't take them long to find their own boat and come after us. Land seemed to be appearing over Haley's shoulder. As we got closer what I thought was land started to look more and more like a boat. The biggest boat I have ever seen. It's giant white sails looked as if they could easily reach the cloudless blue sky. Along the height of the three sails were large platforms with people standing on them, some dressed completely in white others wearing only white pants and large objects on their backs. The boat resembled very much the one we were in. One large oval wooden boat with silver around the edges, but this boat had no oars. Only an immense silver plate on the back of the boat. There were hundreds of people on the boat. Maybe more.

The boat was very close now. The people on the boat were coming towards the edge to look over the side, probably wondering what all the others were looking at. We were no more than a hundred feet away now. One of the men wearing one of the large objects, which were much larger than I thought, threw himself off the boat. He fell fast towards the surface. At the last minute, instead of plunging into the salty water, he stretched out two enormous wings, easily longer than him and wider than his entire upper body. He skated along the surface of the water with his hands slicing through the top spraying his feet behind him. He was coming towards us. Fast. I reached around my waist for the knife Haley had given me earlier that day. Her hand was on mine before I could reach it.

"Don't worry", she said firmly, although she seemed unsure. The man flew quickly past the boat and came back around. He stopped and seemed to be floating effortlessly, leaned into the front of the boat and uncovered a long silver chain that matched the oars and the lining of the boat. At the end of the chain was a black handle. He took it in his hand and turned towards the boat and started pulling. We crossed the space that separated us from the larger boat in only a few seconds. Despite the boat and the oars looking heavy they seemed to be relatively light. As we came to the edge of the massive sailboat, the people on board dropped a ladder into the water. The winged man brought our small boat right up beside the ladder.

Haley stood and took the ladder into her hands and started to climb. The man looked at me expectantly as I hesitated before starting to climb as well. As soon as my foot lifted from the boat the man flew away with it in tow. Haley was already at the top climbing over the edge. She disappeared over the side. I climbed slowly, not knowing what was waiting at the top. I hadn't had time to be scared or confused or even surprised yet, but as I slowly climbed over the edge myself, what I saw did surprise me. Almost everyone on the boat had giant wings. Their wings all matched the color of their hair, black, brown, blond. As I looked around for Haley I noticed that almost everyone on the boat seemed to be staring at me, and seemed happy to see me. There were at least a thousand people on the boat, if not more. The people without wings were wearing shirts with small black emblems on the left chest. The others had a large insignia on their left pant leg.

I started to panic inside when I couldn't find Haley in the crowd. I looked around frantically trying to spot her green eyes and dark hair in the crowd. All the people on the boat had dark blue eyes. I had never seen anyone with eyes that color.

The men on the boat started to part slightly, leaving a space in the crowd. Haley was in the middle, walking behind a winged man. The man had short black hair and giant black wings. His eyes were blue, dark blue like the others. You could see his giant black wings above his head, the light of the two suns reflecting off his shiny feathers. He stood tall among the others. Haley was shorter than him but resembled him very much. She could easily have been mistaken for the man's daughter. Both were smiling. When they reached the front of the crowd another winged man landed beside him and Haley. The man was considerably younger than the other. His hair was a very light brown but his eyes were light blue, not like the man with the black wings. He was just as tall and his wings surpassed his head by a large proportion as well. His smile was the brightest of the three. He seemed genuinely happy to see me. I recognized him as the man who had pulled our boat in. The man with the black hair stepped forward.

16. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

"We have been waiting for you, Michaela", he said, his voice was smooth and deep. He was close enough for me to see the emblem on his leg. It seemed to be a large A with some kind of design around it. On the left side and around the bottom was a large boat and across from it on the top right was a depiction of the two suns.

"I am a friend of your father's, he continued, before I had time to question him, although I don't know if I could speak at this point, he has made arrangements for us to take care of you and Haley. My name is Mylo and this is my son Hayden", he said, as he gestured to his left at the boy with the light brown hair, who waved his hand in conjunction with his introduction. Mylo's face was soft and welcoming, but his body was used, he had a long scar across his chest from his left shoulder all the way down to the beginning of his right leg. He had burn marks on his forearms and the backs of his hands and another long scar along his right arm. His son on the other hand was untarnished, his skin was even and tanned and his light hair shone. His innocence was well reflected in his overly excited smile. They were happy to see me, but not because I brought good news. They knew where I was coming from and, unlike me, where I would probably be going next, but for now things seemed to be safe.

"We must hurry though, the metal world soldiers will be here shortly, you both must hide, said Mylo, after Hayden will show you to your quarters and I will arrange to see you as soon as I can."

"This way", Hayden turned towards the crowd of people, they moved to let him pass, Haley followed immediately. I was still frozen at the edge of the boat, wondering if I should follow or jump off the side into the water and brave the vastness of their ocean. I would never make it. I decided to follow Hayden into what could either be safety or a trap. I didn’t fully trust these people yet, but I did trust Haley, and I could see that she had full faith in them. I stepped through the opening in the crowd of people, as we walked, the others nodded towards us in approval. It was at least a five-minute walk to the nose of the boat. At least ten to cross its entire length. Before we reached the nose, there was a large set of descending stairs, they went all the way down to what seemed like the bottom of the boat and gave out onto a lower deck almost as big as the deck in the middle. There were less people on this part of the boat. We walked about fifty feet and came to a huge door. To the left of the door was a staircase that led to another equally large door and to our right was the same thing.

"These are the quarters for the deck crew, said Hayden, this isn’t where you'll stay but you'll have to hide here while the metal soldiers search the boat. This is the first place they'll check. We're not their favorite people."

"Who are you?” I finally said, having not spoken since we had left the green world.

"We are Arcans, Hayden said proudly, didn’t your father explain everything to you before you left your world?"

"No, he didn’t explain anything to me, I have no idea what is going on."

"Well, when we have the time, we will explain, but now is not that time. Both of you must hide, and you must stay hidden until someone comes to get you. It is absolutely imperative that you not leave until you are fetched. Do you understand?"

"Yes”, said Haley, before I could. Her smile was gone, replaced by seriousness.

17. Kitchen ninja

Kitchen ninja Member

This is my first ever attempt at writing so if anybody has any suggestions for improvements or writing mistakes I may be making please let me know you guys i would to get some feedback, im not sure if i should keep writing this or if it's just a lost cause :)