The teacher fantasy

Discussion in 'Movies with Lesbian/Bi Themes' started by DirectEyes, May 17, 2015.

1. DirectEyes

DirectEyes New Member

Many lesbian-themed movies and books are centred around romantic relationships between school students and their teachers.

People tend to be relatively accepting of it (when they're lesbian...). Supportive, even.

What do you think about this? I want to know

2. _mirage_

_mirage_ Well-Known Member

The student-teacher relationship. Just one example of the many relationship types stamped as "taboo" by society. I think people love hearing something scandalous. The student-teacher relationship is a modern example of a forbidden love. As well as this, it has a wealth of opportunity to tinker with power play (something which one can argue relationships are all about) dynamics by exploring, typically, age gaps relationships as well as the issues of control and 'temptation.' I think media, whether its cinema or other entertainment mediums likes novels, always goes for exaggeration, dramatization, and the controversial; after all, these are the components of a plot which attracts positive and negative attention, and inevitably interest, from an audience. Everything is a selling point and everything is marketing through psychology.

I'm not so sure that people are in real life "supportive" of student-teacher relationships. In fact, there are many laws against this that describe it as immoral and an abuse of power. I think people are interested and attracted to these types of relationships in the media because they challenge the normative standards of society--they go against what societal morals/laws have been established and therefore, they are thrilling. And thrills of the good and bad persuasion easily translate to emotions of attraction in humans. By this, I mean attraction towards the storyline, not necessarily seeing something as sexy. I think throwing a homosexual or LGBTQ label into the student-teacher mix just heightens the attractive wrongness for society that makes them want to continue watching/reading. Also note that wrong in this instance doesn't mean your typical right-and-wrong, but rather refers to something which is not supported or accepted by society [fully] yet...When it comes to movies, everyone loves a good tale that brings you out of your comfort zone.

Sorry. I think and talk to much. I could ramble for hours about my opinions and observations. LOL! But, thanks for the thought-provoking thread! I'm interested to see what other people think. You're great!!!! :)

Susanah likes this.
  3. entertainmentguruwannabe

entertainmentguruwannabe Active Member

I think it's exactly as mirage says :) This is a common theme in fiction as a whole, as teacher-student relationships are "taboo" and therefore, it's an exciting fantasy. People (particularly in romance) want to explore exciting, forbidden dynamics in order to heighten the sense of being thrilling, and feeling alive. Even I, in fiction, get excited about these kinds of relationship dynamics because from a narrative standpoint, it's interesting.

That being said, in real life, I'm totally against it. Not to sound overly judgemental or anything. It's just that I personally am passionate about education, want to be a teacher in the future, and just do not think in any circumstance that it's appropriate for a teacher and a student (while they are still teacher and student), to engage in a sexual relationship. Obviously it's taking advantage of your power as a teacher to do so, but more importantly, I think it destroys the dynamic that a teacher and student need in order to learn effectively. It's like dating your therapist or something. Not that there should be anything inherently wrong about doing that, but it makes it so that you're unable to do your job effectively, and it's unprofessional.

But it's cool in movies and stuff! (Hahaha, dunno if that makes me hypocrticial...) But your observations are not off! I agree that I see this as a running theme in a fair number of lesbian media. Maybe we gay women are just really into the teacher-student thing? (<Not a real explanation, haha). For what it's worth, I did have a good number of crushes on my women teachers throughout the years. Should've been a tip off about my gay-ness in retrospect...

4. fanxiang1991

fanxiang1991 New Member

i thinks it is ok. not problem. because i loved my teacher when i was student.

5. Nel_vW

Nel_vW Member

I've been both: student and teacher.
    While I get the whole crush on your teacher thing, I would never engage with a student or pupil that way. It's going against the trust in the context. As a student you have to rely on the fairness and educational integrety of your teacher..
    How can you trust someone to grade your work reliable when she is in love with your fellow student? Favouritism is unprofessional and that's just a very mild thing compared to falling in love, kissing, or having an affair.
    If I would be in danger of feeling that way about a student, I would resign.

Nevertheless, it's interesting drama in the movies!

6. TheScandinavian

TheScandinavian Well-Known Member

I've had a crush on a teacher in my high school days. Luckily, she taught me this subject for like a year and nothing happened (while she was teaching me). However, I was all smiles around her, tried to impress her with my writings (she taught some of creative writing) and I knew she could relate to what I wrote since she's like 10 years elder than me. After I was done with high school, I had a thing with a teacher that used to teach me back in 8th grade (she's 11 years elder) but it's all over now. As for this teacher I tried to impress-I'm still crushing on her and we secretly dating for like 6 months (she's not coming out of the closet) and we broke up...
    I guess it's okay to date once they're no longer in school and the student's of legal age.
    As for the movies-they clearly show why it's hot to watch or even think of entering such relationship. However, it's too risky even for me...

Rain likes this.