The New AE

Discussion in 'AE & Site-Related Specific' started by aussie_gabby, Apr 6, 2015.

1. aussie_gabby

aussie_gabby Well-Known Member

Hey All,

I've noticed a lot of people have commented that they enjoyed the old AE much better compared to the new version. I'm totally with you. The threads were certainly more active with lots more topics to chose from.

What i have noticed is that plenty of women are signing up each day. Like i said, many of us are looking for that old AE.

Instead of getting disheartened and only checking once every while, it's be great if everyone could start getting a bit more active. It's the only way to get the site back were we all loved it.

It doesn't have to be in depth problem. Are there plenty of places/thread on this site where people can post and get advice on personal issues? Absolutely. I love that about this site. But my point is, in the old AE, you could talk about anything. So you don't need to post about an in-depth coming out story to start getting this site back to where it was. Comment on something. Say hi to someone on their profile page. Maybe its about how you like your coffee or how important it is to have butter and peanut better on your toast.

Maybe there was an old thread you loved, start it up again. It might just be some other women were missing that thread too.

2. rac

rac Well-Known Member

I did not experience the old, old AE (I understand this site was overhauled a number of times already so I'm assuming that's what you meant) so can you guys maybe tell us what kind of topics were really interesting then that are lacking now? How active were the members then compared to now?

I have noticed there are more of us participating lately so maybe we are getting there? But I think it is always a good idea to remind everybody of what it takes to make this forum lively again.

rainydaze and Flashover like this.
  3. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

4. Bluenote

On the 'old old' AE there was less of a wall between the articles and the forum. Here, you use disqus to comment on articles, and the forum section is separate. On the old AE, it was all the same AE system, no separate disqus system.

The 'old old' AE had a lot more content. Yes, there were articles and the articles were more than just a picture slideshow. But there was also original content. Liz Feldman did a self produced comedy talk show called "This just out" (http://www.afterellen.com/tag/this-just-out-with-liz-feldman). They did a travel show "You Can't Take Them Anywhere" (http://www.afterellen.com/video/30588-you-cant-take-them-anywhere-reno), that had it's moments. There were a lot of other bloggers, vloggers and recaps that were very popular, but those are the ones that I remember.

I also feel like the old articles would be more in depth. Sarah Warn did a column "Visibility Matters;" in it, she would actually talk about why visibility mattered. She would address what has changed, what hasn't, where there are still double standard and so on. I feel like the "articles" today tend to be more quick slideshows, thrown together with stock images and bland captions, but no real deep discussion of the greater issues. Or they are a paragraph or two of facts, but no editorial content. Here is a link to a Sarah Warn article where she calls out MTV for devolving from their groundbreaking work with "The Real World" in the 1990s, to promoting sleazy bisexual twins for ratings in the 2000s (http://www.afterellen.com/tv/40643-visibility-matters-mtv-sells-out-gays-and-lesbians-for-ratings).

"But bisexual kissing sisters? That’s a new low, even for MTV, and in
    light of our struggle for basic civil rights, airing a show like this is more
    than simply irresponsible.

It’s reprehensible, and downright shameful.

Instead of helping to fight bigotry and discrimination through entertainment,
    as they once did, MTV is now helping promote it, and they’re profiting from it."

Contrast the issues in that article, with AE's more recent writing on Ellen Page coming out. That issue just got a few paragraphs of 'just the facts.' There was no real discussion of broader issues, what does it mean that she came out, what does it mean that it was still difficult for her to come out, and how powerful was it for her to say "I am tired of lying by ommission." (http://www.afterellen.com/people/210163-ellen-page-comes-out-as-gay-i-am-tired-of-lying-by-omission).

AE's follow up articles on Ellen Page have been similarly anemic. Here they are posting 'hey, she is on the cover of a magazine, showing off some aaaaabbbs.' (http://www.afterellen.com/tv/227322-morning-brew-ellen-page-shows-off-her-six-pack-in-w). But they didn't stop to ask - since coming out she has gone for much more of a tomboy / androgynous style. Yet she is still being represented in this fashion shot in very stereotypical feminine ways - super skinny, partially clothed, lots of make up. To me, there is a double standard there - "hey, it's ok to come out as gay, just so long as we can still market how you look to male appetites. Gay if you must, but stay a size 2 and look good in that underwear."

I looked and the most I could find in AE about Ellen Page's style transformation to more tomboy was a short blurb:

"One other positive in Ellen’s coming out: She feels free to dress however the hell she wants. She said how thrilled she was to wear the Saint Laurent tux by Hedi Slimane to the Vanity Fair Oscars party just days after her speech, and how her work with stylist Samantha McMillen means she no longer feels the pressure to conform and wear dresses on the red carpet."

As a tomboy myself, I know that it is not quite that simple. Some people still feel threatened by women who dress "like men." Others feel like women should look and dress in ways that please others - show off their legs, show off their cleavage, always be fit and skinny. They don't like it when women say 'look, this is my style and it's not my obligation to sexualize myself to your liking, to diet within an inch of my life to keep to your standards.' It's usually not expressed so overtly, but the dynamic is there 'you should smile,' 'you have such nice legs, you should wear skirts more often,' and, of course the comments and stares about weight.

But the new AE doesn't seem really interested in covering that, they just write a few facts and toss up a picture or two.

rainydaze and Flashover like this.
  5. Flashover

Flashover Member

Well stated. You summed up the old AE perfectly and why I am missing it.

rainydaze likes this.
  6. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

I miss the original AE, which allowed us to get to know the writers through what they called vlogs or video blogs. They were crazy and fun. I missed those writers when they left. Today's writers come and go so fast without ever giving us a clue as to who they are.

While I'm on the subject, it would be nice if the regular writers would post a Farwell when they leave. Heather Hogan was much loved around this site and just disappeared on us. Nobody comes close to her wit. She can't be replaced. It's too bad for AE that she's no longer writing for it, but it would have been nice if we had known she was leaving.

rainydaze likes this.
  7. Bluenote

I believe that she is over at Autostraddle. I think that there was some kind of sign off from her when she left. http://www.autostraddle.com/author/heatherannehogan/

I agree that the new content is not nearly as good.

8. Flashover

Flashover Member

Is it just me or have some of the forums been deleted? I am looking at the page currently on my mobile so wouldn't be surprised if it was on my end. Although I've never had a problem before.

9. Flashover

Flashover Member

Nevermind it was all on my end :p