Partner or wife?

Discussion in 'Surveys and Questionnnaires' started by Zarco Nimmo, Sep 5, 2015.

?

What do you call the woman with whom you share your home, your bed, your life?

1. Wife

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Partner

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other (specify in comments, if desired)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Zarco Nimmo

Zarco Nimmo Active Member

No doubt you've noticed that many lesbian couples - married either in the law's eyes or in their own - use different terms to refer to their mates. One woman speaks of her partner, and another woman speaks of her wife. Which do you prefer? For my part, I find that wife exactly denotes the relationship a woman has with her woman, whereas partner is used to denote many different kinds of relationships and is thus too ambiguous. A woman who doesn't want to leave any doubt in others' minds about her relationship to her wife ought to use that word to refer to her. What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. AnafromTO

AnafromTO Member

I would agree, however, let me make things a little more complicated. What if you are not OUT? You have been with your significant other for years, and introduce her as your friend in "straight settings"? And, not being out, especially at work, is even more difficult. You lie about your weekend and talk about your boyfriend!
    That's my life right now, very frustrating. So, your post although interesting, is SO much more complicated for those that are not out.
    Oh, and here's an even more complicated scenario in that tale. What if you're no longer happy in your relationship because she doesn't take care of yourself as you do, and has let herself go. shallow? maybe. But even if I were out, sometimes I don't want to introduce her as my partner, not because I think I can do better, but because I'm loosing that feeling and completely torn on what to do.
    Have I completely changed the tone of your post? lol.

3. Zarco Nimmo

Zarco Nimmo Active Member

AfterEllen has several different discussion forums covering many different topics. You would do much better to raise the matters you mentioned above in the Relationships forum. There may well be a reader there who's gone through a similar experience and can tell you how to deal with your problems. Good luck.