New flag for New Zealand

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Flashover, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Flashover

Flashover Member

I realize writing this in politics (also politics on afterellen) will probably not get a response but I am curious as to see the viewpoints of others here concerning the vote for a new national flag for New Zealand? I suppose I am reaching out to New Zealanders (not sure if that's the best way to say it) and asking how do you feel but I also would like to hear the views of others on this. It's a question of identity for a nation and I find that fascinating. The same question has been placed for other nations as well. To drop the representation of the Union Jack or not. I'd love to have responses on this. It's a question of identity and for all who frequent these forums I know identity and belonging is very much a thing. Also how we react to our identity within our own unions fascinates me. I have had friends who have already had to take place in votes like this. I'd like to hear more from everyone else.

2. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

3. Flashover

Flashover Member

4. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

God almighty @Bluenote NO laser eyes.... and @Flashover for the love of all things good...do not endorse her laser eyed kiwi love...it can only end badly for kiwis

As a born and raised Kiwi who defected to Australia (and rose the IQ of both countries in the process :p) I have to say I'm a fan of the Silver Fern option.

There's been a lot of chatter I've seen on Facebook from different sides, current NZ residents, ex-pats, and it seems pretty mixed. There's the arguments about the exorbitant cost of the whole fiasco and how many textbooks/underprivileged kids/animal shelters/road upgrades it could have covered but to be totally honest...it's time for a change and to forge a new identity that isn't just a huge ass Union Jack and the Australian flag with a few alterations of the stars.

Personally the New Zealand southern cross and the silver fern are both symbols that mean a lot to me and have a lot of cultural significance generally....the Union jack however, it's British, it doesn't represent much about NZ really...and I have no emotional attachment to at all

This explains some of the significance of the silver fern from a cultural perspective
    http://media.newzealand.com/en/story-ideas/new-zealand-icon-silver-fern/

And this description of the flag....

'The designer’s intent is that the multiple points of the fern leaf represent Aotearoa’s peaceful, multicultural society, a single fern spreading upwards representing one people growing onward into the future. The bright blue represents our clear skies and the Pacific Ocean, and the Southern Cross guided early settlers to our islands and represents our location in the South Pacific'
    (I should get used to referencing things again but I'm lazy...if anyone asks, I got it from here...https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging...nce-to-decide/2-choices/the-silver-fern-flag/)

.....sounds a lot better than "Nah, our flag is the one that looks just like Australia but with red stars...and less, we see 2 less than they do...." (christ...I think it's only 2....give me 5 minutes to find a true Aussie bogan with a southern cross tattoo and check :p)

TL;DR no laser eyed flightless birds should be outed for a new flag....ferns and stars and ocean bits Yes!

Flashover and Bluenote like this.
  5. Flashover

Flashover Member

Thanks for the reply! As much as I like the laser one I do agree on the silver fern design. It's nice to hear your perspective

Emm likes this.