learning to code

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by avrilvega, Jun 29, 2014.

1. avrilvega

avrilvega Member

I am interested in learning to code using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Are there any women here who know how to do this or could give me advice on how best to learn? I want to become a web designer. Thanks for reading this!

2. Pi3

Pi3 Well-Known Member

T.T sorry newbie, but Im planning to study them during my semester break...

3. MizzLadyPants

MizzLadyPants Well-Known Member

Are you going to school to become a web designer? At the college I attend the courses they have to become a web designer would teach you all that info. I had to take a basic computing computing class a few terms ago & the teachers would talk often of other classes that taught such things; HTML JavaScript etc.

4. Pi3

Pi3 Well-Known Member

@MizzLadyPants
    from your personal opinion, where would you think we should start? are there any sites that you used for resources?

5. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I learned HTML and CSS from a book I randomly got a bookstore. It was pretty good and the author replied to something I need clarifying with when I emailed him once. "Creating Cool Web Sites with HTML, XHTML, and CSS" (Dave Taylor). I don't know if it's still relevant because that was some time ago. I only did that as a hobby and later moved on to other hobbies but it's very clear on the concepts and I was able to learn the basics from it.

6. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

CodeAcademy or other websites like that?

7. Pi3

Pi3 Well-Known Member

I think codecademy is a good start... then if you check youtube, you can find many videos on those topics...

8. aTaurean

aTaurean Member

https://www.codecademy.com is a good starting point. I also recommend reading Mark Myers book (A Smarter Way to Learn..). It has interactive exercises that is very useful.

newborn likes this.
  9. uRippoz

uRippoz New Member

I know this is an old topic, but just in case anyone still comes here and wants info:

W3Schools - www.w3schools.com - is an excellent resource for learners of HTML, css, javascript, and more. Try their tutorials, and see if their method of delivery works for you.

Code School - www.codeschool.com - is another good resource. This one has a different method of delivery (mostly video).

Javascript is a programming language, unlike html/css. If you've never done any programming before, be prepared to spend a lot of time in the beginning - just staring at a code snippet, absorbing and internalizing the way a computer thinks. The initial learning curve will be steep, but it gets easier once you've learned your first programming language. I started out with C# and Java, and found javascript to be very 'lenient' (not in a good way because it lacks the structure of a strongly typed language). Structure is good when you're learning about the rules. So I don't know what your experience would be like if javascript is the first language you learn. If it gets too much, I'd suggest learning C first. C is a small language, so you can focus on just learning the basics of programming.

newborn and Gyldenragg like this.
  10. Belonghere

Belonghere New Member

I agree with uRippoz .www.w3schools.com is pretty good for newbies.You can actually code and run through the output.But if you are planning it as a profession,you better take some classes outside apart from self-learning.

Gyldenragg likes this.