Goodbye to AfterEllen

Discussion in 'Welcome to the new AfterEllen!' started by Eloise, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

Trish posted on her tumbler that this site is shutting it's doors this Friday.

And as per usual, there will be no announcement on the site.

While there was room for improvement, this site was the main place to go for entertainment news about LGBT women. The entertainment industry has come a long way since the inception of this site and the content has grown with it. The forums, which have declined in use since the site updated and deleted all the old content, were still the best place to come and interact with other lesbian and bi women. There's no other place like it on the internet. It's sad to see it go because of the almighty bottom dollar.

Frankly, I ignored the adds because they constantly covered the content, especially the photos. Whenever I tried to close them I was redirected. Also, my browser constantly closes when I'm in the site. If the ads were less intrusive and didn't trick you into clicking on them, I might have paid attention to them. I can't ever remember the content of them being something I was personally interested in. And, because the ads didn't generate enough income, this site is closing for good.

Say your goodbyes. What has AfterEllen meant to you?

2. cosmiccowgirll

cosmiccowgirll New Member

I started visiting AfterEllen in the very first year of its existence. It was a great resource for me, and I am forever grateful to Sarah Warn and the other early contributors to the site. It meant so much to me in the early days of the internet.

I stopped visiting back when the format changed and the old forums were erased. I'm sorry I haven't been a more consistent supporter in recent years, but it just didn't seem the same. Still, I hate so much to see it go. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the site. I will miss you!

Bluenote likes this.
  3. kleineheidi

kleineheidi New Member

Thank you AfterEllen for all these years. I have been visiting almost every day. Loved the Morning Brew, my daily fix of what is going on. Loved the recaps. Loved the earlier stuff ever since Sarah Warn's days. Best.Lesbian.Week.Ever!! This has been an important site for me. Hate corporate capitalism, hate terrible, terrible advertising (how come it was so terrible? I think I never saw an ad on this site that resonated. It was so poorly targeted, so invasive, what was that all about?) Hate the story we hear so often: big company buys small, nothing will change - until everything changes. Thank you for all the writers and editors. I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing your writings elsewhere!

4. mariannek2u

mariannek2u Well-Known Member

What!!!! :( no way!!
    Ive been in the site for mannnyyy years. Back when bridget posted vlogs, liz with this just out etc etc
    Its been the best place to catch up on lesbian things around the world. There is no better place. :(

5. mariannek2u

THIS SUCKS!!! im really sad right now

Bluenote likes this.
  6. u-45561865

u-45561865 New Member

First I want to say Thank You. And last, I want to say Thank You. I remember when I had to reach you by dial-up. Wish you weren't leaving.

Bluenote likes this.
  7. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, the early vlogs were the best, weren't they? Those early days didn't have much in the way of lesbian/bi entertainment on TV, but it was chock full of it on this sight. I miss the women who made this site. I miss their silliness and humor. Maybe this site just got too slick, but it's kinda gotten boring as of late. I think it would have been better if some of the home-made style of those early days had been kept. We really got to know the women who ran the sight, but now they're nothing more than a by-line.

Bluenote likes this.
  8. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

9. noedee

noedee Active Member

Whether true or not it sure had an impact: almost no one has been back on the forum since Friday. And no new articles have appeared since the 21st...

10. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

What a bummer...I missed the heyday of the site five or ten years ago, not having discovered my inner Sapphic identity at that time, and...just really wish I’d gotten some time to build up a true friendship with some of the folks around here. Not that it’s totally dead, like the article says, but perhaps it might as well be. Maybe, then again...who knows.

11. mariannek2u

I guess the site will still be here but not as active as we are used to....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  12. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

It's been one week since it's non-shutdown and there's been no new content. So, it's closed for business but you can still read all the old stuff.

After reading these comments and others about AE it seems everyone really misses the old AE, and not the recent version of the past few years, It seems to me that if it wasn't working it needed to be fixed. What they did instead is like a retailer no longer adding new stuff to to their store to purchase, but keeping the doors open for people to browse their empty shelves.

It's a shame that AE became so boring that we all just popped in every once in a while and because of that they didn't make enough money to keep it going. They should sell it to someone who has a vested interest in the content who will make this better than it's been since the current owner trashed it.

mariannek2u likes this.
  13. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

I know, I wish I had the know-how and mechanics to work on such a web site and make it into something possibly great one day. Not necessarily this one, as I’m a little unable to shake the feeling that everyone would look at me as if to say, “...YOU??!” Well, y’know...sorry. Sorry I happen to be a dude on the outside. Sorry the web site’s now apparently under ownership of someone else who’s a dude on the outside. But even if that was no issue, I don’t think I could do it. I started a couple blogs, but no one read them. Anyway, it is a true shame about what’s happened to the site. I’m inclined to say it’s just more proof that the world’s essentially lesbophobic, but I know that’s an unfair conclusion to jump to and not really the case.