Blue is The Warmest Color

Discussion in 'Movies with Lesbian/Bi Themes' started by Mongose, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Mongose

Mongose Member

Hey girls, just wondering who is looking forward to Blue is the Warmest Color?

I'm from Europe and it's coming here earlier (going to see it tomorrow!). I know it's a French film and it's 3 hours long but after reading all reviews (and let's not forget it won Cannes this year) I've come to have huge expectations. I have the feeling it will set a new standard!

To whoever is looking forward to it here is the International trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RJ4gt26yHo

And here is an awesome scene that was just posted today (with English subs, although they don't say much anyway :)).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLxzCjZbr5A

I'm basically spreading the word about it. If anyone has seen it already at a festival, please share your thoughts.

cheers,
    M

2. Chrystele

Chrystele Well-Known Member

A friend of mine saw it in Cannes and she liked it a lot.

I was a bit disappointed by the comic strip though. I heard it was very touching but I've just finished Bechdel's "Fun Home" (which so deep, moving and complex) when I read "The Blue..." so I had some higher expectations.

Anyway, it will be the first French film about a lesbian relationship without : one of them being a killer or a "machiavelic" powerful woman trying to corrupt/use the other one, or one of them going back to a straight relationship, or one of them killing herself out of despair, or one of them going mad, or one of them being bi (and going back to a straight relationship)...

For all these I would go and watch it :lol:

3. Boo

Boo Well-Known Member

Just saw Blue today and I cried like a little bitch throughout the film. I must say it is very very good.

4. Pantone185c

Pantone185c Well-Known Member

I finally got around to seeing it this week. I thought the acting was amazing. The chemistry between the two leading ladies was electric, but the sex scenes. Good lord. And I don't mean that in a good way.

I felt the editing was off. It didn't properly inform the audience about the time shifts. Oh, ok, so 3 years passed now?
    I also wanted to know how Adele's parents felt about her coming out/living with Emma. It didn't really do into that. Oh, so they are living together now. Oh, ok...

And don't get me started on all that focus on pasta. Christ. Did I miss something there? Is there a relevance?

This film didn't need to be 3 hours long.

This film was definitely over-hyped. The acting saved it for me, but it's not a film I want to see again any time soon.

5. Boo

Boo Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought the time shift was a little different, but I'm the type who doesn't need informative captions on screen. Like, we don't get to know where in France the girls live. Or which year, since there are different social acceptances. I quite like the unknown time shift. We see Adéle grows from her teen right into her adulthood.. That much is clear. But I love the emotions in this film. I get goosebumps seeing how lovesick Adéle becomes. I don't know whether because the story..or rather Adéle's portrayal is so real, it gets to me so bad. I want to but now I'm afraid to watch it again.

And the sex scenes? You know what? Let's not even go there. Lol

6. Pantone185c

Pantone185c Well-Known Member

I just felt the time shifting could have been done in a more fluid way. To me, it came off as -scene /scene /scene /scene/ scene - do you know what I mean?

Adele's performance was definitely incredible. You felt her pain - you felt it. That breakup scene...

As for the sex scenes, this icon pretty much sums it up: :roll:

7. CCRenay

CCRenay Member

Sex scenes were wayyy too long. It made me cry like a little baby though.. and can relate a lot to their relationship. Hit very close. I def. recommend it.

8. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

The sex scenes were disgusting and exploitative and ruined what could have been one of the better lesbian movies I have seen.

9. Evince

Evince Member

10. Wild Orchid

Wild Orchid Member

I loved Blue. I loved the intense emotions throughout the 3 hour running time. I think Adele and Lea did a great job. The director filmed a shit load of footage even when the actresses weren't aware that the camera was on -trying to get as much realism as possible. There are many beats in the film that hit many nerves with me and in my own life which good films do....it's an interesting film if you don't mind the length of the film.

11. Emmarose

Emmarose Active Member

What a truly wonderful film !!
    I watched it via Netflix

The 2 main actresses are really talented and true to their role

A wonderful film full of honesty - raw emotion and the trails and tribulations of relationship -
    The celebration of being gay and love
    And showing that love starts and ends whatever our sexuality
    Enjoy !!

12. LionsChance

LionsChance Member

I watched this movie recently and I thought it was great. I really enjoyed it, though I did think the time gap left a lot to be desired and there was a lot I had wished Id seen (her family and friends reactions, the development of the relationship etc.). However, I felt like it was an extremely honest story, and the acting was amazing. It was sad, but also beautiful. I agree the sex was excessive, but I enjoyed it regardless. Very honest, and definitely worth the 3 hours it takes to watch it.

13. truestory

truestory New Member

The best lesbian movie to me. So I gave up on trying to watch anything else from the genre.. Especially, when they create such quality tv-series, like OITNB.