Banner ads at the bottom of the screen

Discussion in 'AE & Site-Related Specific' started by JLoWotBoM, Apr 4, 2015.

1. JLoWotBoM

JLoWotBoM New Member

Is anyone else experiencing these banner ads or is something wrong with my phone? They are big and annoying and either unresponsive to me trying to "x" out of them or if I do accidentally hit anywhere other than the microscopic "x" I am redirected to the App Store.. Is this a legit ad?? For an ad to have so much power over my device is bothersome to say the least and is quickly becoming very disconcerting. I have only experienced this within the last few days or so.

2. Just Me

Just Me Well-Known Member

I always use the site on my phone and have never had this problem. I run on android (in case you have a different system).... Sounds like you might have an adware virus.

3. annaya

annaya New Member

For an ad to have so much power over my device is bothersome to say the least and is quickly becoming very disconcerting. I have only experienced this within the last few days or so.

4. gwynna

gwynna New Member

I have same problem on all my devices (phone, tablet, computer) I appreciate that ads are how the site makes money but the constant pop ups and full page ads are really friggin irritating and are making me not want to bother using the site anymore- there are other places to get my LGBT news.......

5. Toni

Toni Well-Known Member

When it comes to my computer I use 'Adblock plus' that keeps out most ads so I highly recommend using this.

For the Firefox browser: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

If you look beside the green 'install for firefox' button in the link above, you will see the browsers that they support including the Android Icon. Just click on the icon you want and follow the instructions to install.

If you don't want to look around for the icon here on my previous link is the direct link to installation for android phones or tablets: https://adblockplus.org/android-install

I never really use my phone or tablet to surf on AE but I thought I'd install the app on my phone to test if it worked. I got a selection during the installation to which item I wanted to install it on as I have more than one android item. It's very easy to install and when you select to use the 'Adblock browser' when clicking on the link you want to access you should be ad free.

Good luck :)

PS: One thing I always mention to people when installing different freeware on your computer etc is to be careful when installing stuff. One of the way companies that offers free software survive is based on commercial, so pay attention to what you accept or mark/unmark. You might end up installing some malware that you really don't want that just creates trouble for your item in the long run. Luckily there are free malware removal software out there, but worse case scenario your whole computer or such might need a clean installation which can be quite time consuming.