Anyone Else Bored of the Same SHIT?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mip, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mip

Mip Member

I've been thinking about "gay movies" and "lesbian movies", and I've decided they're all fucking awful. Why? Because they all focus on being fucking gay, or being a fucking lesbian. I'm so sick of the same, boring coming out story. The out girl meets the not-out unaware girl. The coming of age boy figuring out his sexuality. IT'S ALL BEEN DONE.

WHEN are we going to have a movie that isn't targeted TO THE GAYS but has queer characters? Why are ALL THE GLB romantic comedies about coming out? Where is our 50 First Dates featuring obnoxious lady actor going after amnesiac lady actor? I am so sick of plots that are about being gay and the gay and gay community, rather than movies with plots about ANYTHING ELSE that just so happens to have gay people in it.

Where is the sci-fi movie featuring the queer knight who romances his fellow knight? Or the cyber punk bad-ass who falls into a plot of sex and deception with the beautiful, but deadly spy? WHERE? Come on! Romantic comedies suck. Where are the movies that will actually MEAN SOMETHING because they actually acknowledge that people who are gay/lesbian/bi have MORE going on than being gay/lesbian/bi.

And then after that, LET'S GET RID OF ROMANCE ALTOGETHER because I'm sick of shitty romance that makes no sense, and looks NOTHING like the real thing. Selling fairytales to kids who don't know any better! ....but that's for another topic...

tl;dr: Let's have movies about gay/les/bi people that focus on other aspects of their lives, rather than focusing on their gay/les/bi-ness.

Paula Davies likes this.
  2. Omglol

Omglol Well-Known Member

totally agree. I remember last year when i got obsessed with watching gay tv, movie etc I had the same thought and I just had an epiphany on my great gayness lol.

romantic comedies are my least fav genre but i like Imagine you and me. there was no coming out really just 2 women.
    orange is the new black also. and some pretty good web series like Into girls, Little horribles, The better half these all are cute, funny and awkward. or even the short rookie blue or orphan black lost girl.. no coming out or drama surrounding a person's sexuality alone. ( funny how they all are canadian :p)

I just cant take anymore gay straight crush, subtext, let's go downtown coming into terms themes anymore soo boring BUT I also understand people everywhere need this as they may have the same struggles or be living in areas where they have no way of being open and true to themselves. however I believe it would be so much more captivating and educations and natural to just show 2 girls coming together or just be LGBTQAAPASFETS whatever they wanna be, just be who they are. but then.. of course we have 99% straight men as executive producers, writers and directors soooo... and acting aside... there are just far too many heterosexual women playing bi/gay. why not give roles to ppl who are queer ?

I kinda write and I have so many ideas for films my dream is to create such stories that gay is just another word and my characters are simply living an authentic life with ups and downs but with just 2 women

3. NinaSanz

NinaSanz Member

Agreed! Tired of the cheap fluff movies they dish at us and of course we greedily eat me up because we don't have enough movies representing us as is. I want to see a hot chick running a fucking mafia gang and is ruthless. I mean shoot someone at the dinner table and keep eating ruthless! Plus she just happens to be a lesbian with a sexy ass lover. Lots of killing and shooting and action and explosions damnit!!!! Is that too much to ask?!!!

4. sundancer

sundancer Well-Known Member

Maybe someone here should write a movie script?

And Canadians rock! (so says the Aussie...)

Like I said in a previous thread, there are only very few lesbian movies that I would ever bring up in a conversation or actually recommend to people. The movie that I most recommend is Saving Face - and not for the lesbian content. I find it absolutely hilarious from a cultural standpoint and so do all my other friends who have watched it. It was like a laugh a minute (minus all the sad parts). Imagine Me & You is really cute too.

Obviously I like a good rom com but there can be more than just coming out dramas!

5. Paula Davies

Paula Davies Member

I really liked The kids are allright exactly for this, the plot is more complex than just the "gayness" of the characters. Blue is the warmest color too, all the issues about fitting in and finding a place to belong. Is nice to identify with a gay character but also with more complex psychological aspects.

6. socalldova

socalldova New Member

You must not be up to date on your lesbian films. Have you seen the Summer of Sangaile, That's Not Us, Bare, All About E, Anatomy of a Love Seen, Liz in September, Addicted to Fresno, Appropriate Behavior, Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seeking Same, Circumstance, Carol?

7. socalldova

socalldova New Member

I've forgtten S&M Sally. Also, the web content tho: Plus One, Last Life, Cowgirl Up, Hashtag, Her Story, Starting From Now, Anyone But Me. Mandahla Rose from All About E will be in a series soon called La Douleur Exquise, they are looking for funding help on indiegogo. Tons of other lesbian filmmakers looking for help with funding for projects which are not about coming out of the closet. Shamim Sarif and Artemis Protocol. Marina Rice Bader has a ton in development she needs help with (www.soulkissfilms.com) A bunch more on mtff.org you can help too.

8. Bluenote

Bluenote Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head "Concussion," is a lesbian movie that doesn't have the usual coming out/ Rom Com plot.

I also think "But I'm a Cheerleader," is unique - taking down gay conversion therapy in a very funny way.

The documentary "Paris is Burning," is about drag subculture.

Emm likes this.