“Favorites” Survey (part 2 of 2)

Discussion in 'Surveys and Questionnnaires' started by Greg, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Here's the other half of my "favorites" survey (questions 14 through 26), along with my own answers.

TV/movie genre?
    Wellllllll…USED to be sitcoms, which can still be enjoyable, but…I still like dramedies, and romances. I’m not extremely big on horror, adventure or sci-fi, though I like the idea of other-worldly things happening to normal everyday situations.

TV show? This lineup’s slightly different than a decade ago. I still like the old ’80s sitcoms, ’cause of the whole pop culture element, but…well, now my tastes have shifted. I still like ALF, for instance, and the original Garfield, those started in the ’80s, and ones like Frasier—from the ’90s—that’s still good too. I really like this game show on GSN called Idiotest…Impractical Jokers on TruTV, and Wipeout, that’s fun. I also like courtroom shows like Hot Bench, a few reality fix-up shows like WifeSwap or Kitchen Nightmares…oh, and of course, Exes And Ohs and One Big Happy—both of which are long gone, but still count. I don’t much care for Orange/Black anymore, admittedly.

Movie? Well, I always loved Field Of Dreams from a young age—one of the only movies that can make just about ANYone cry—and most anything John Hughes was involved with in the ’80s and early ’90s. In the ’90s I watched lots of stuff with comic icons like Robin Williams, Jim Carrey and the aforementioned Adam Sandler…it’s hard to pick out specific movies; there are just SO very many. I’d end up with a list a mile long. But if I think of any particularly good ones, I’ll edit them in.

Actor/actress? Well, this is a unique choice. My favorite actress is a lady born in 1952 named Carol Kane, who popped up in movies like Dog Day Afternoon, Annie Hall and When A Stranger Calls in the ’70s, then the last season of Taxi, ’82-’83. After that she was in The Princess Bride, Scrooged, Jawbreaker, My First Mister, The Shrink Is In, a couple episodes of Two And A Half Men, and most recently, Kimmy Schmidt. I couldn’t help but find her the most breathtakingly, angelically beautiful (famous) person on the planet. I also like that she has a very unusual voice, with a low pitch but a high, childlike timbre.

Book? Gosh, this is a little like the movie one, difficult to pluck out just one or two. Besides, I’ve read a little too many different types of books to narrow it down. But I like comic strip compilation books—NOT traditional comic books, but—ones like Far Side, Garfield, Cyanide & Happiness, so on. I like novels too, but I spend more time writing than reading those at this point. I’ll say I actively still read Bold Strokes Books, because they specialize in LGBTQ fiction. Then there are some game books with crosswords or Su Doku-like puzzles, I like those too, I like them to keep my mind sharpened. I don’t have a Nook or Kindle, but that’s okay, I just prefer the feeling of turning tangible pages.

Author? Similarly, this is tricky to pinpoint, but I can draw one out of the crowd. A Swedish author named Linda Olsson who’s written three or four novellas, all of which I very much enjoyed. I like Audrey Niffenegger too, who wrote The Time Traveler’s Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry. I like the works of Garrison Keillor as well, though he’s known more as a radio persona than an author. When I was little, my favorite author was Louis Sachar, the guy behind the whole Wayside School series. Then I read some young adult fiction, and graduated into…well, pretty much everything else. Now, while as I mentioned, I’m spending most of my leisure time writing, I guess I’ve fallen behind on the reading part.

Magazine? Guess that would have to be Games, the mag devoted to just that, and puzzles. But I don’t really read too many books anymore, and even fewer magazines.

Sport? To watch: baseball. To play: bowling and pool. Hey, they count.

Game (any variety)? Well, dominoes is cool…Monopoly would be a little more fun if it didn’t take an epoch to finish. Poker’s fun too. I grew up playing the hell out of the Super Mario Bros. Nintendo games, and a few supplementary games after that. Lately I’ve been playing a lot of FB games: match-3 offshoots of Candy Crush, different flavors of Bingo, stuff like that. Oh, and playing along with game shows is cool too.

Fad/craze/rage/mania from your time? Probably still have to say the (ORIGINAL) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles…I feel the need to repeat that: ORIGINAL. As in, again, from the ’80s and early ’90s.

Animal? My feline daughter Annie. Okay, as a species, yes, I am a cat lover. But I also love dogs, birds, fish, and non-domesticated animals. A couple years ago we went to the zoo on my birthday, so we got a lot of pics and video of the wildlife. I like giving to help the animals too—I make a regular monthly donation to the ASPCA. As to my favorite creatures kept at the zoo, I think those would be the giraffes, penguins and otters.

Place (to visit/live/travel)? Well, that’s a little broad, don’t I think? Yes…yes, I do. But geographically, I’d still love to make it way up into northern Scandinavia one day. Specifically, Sweden. I taught myself to speak Swedish since 2007 because of Roxette, and it’s very freezing cold up there in the winter, and cool in the summer. The only problem is, once I actually got there, I’d never want to leave.

Question in this survey? This one. Skål, A.E.

2. Ginney

Ginney Well-Known Member

TV/movie genre? Horror

TV show? Well right now I would have to say American Horror Story

Movie? Saw movies

Actor/actress? Julie Andrews she was my first crush ;) Mary Poppins People ;) lol

Book?
    Author?

Magazine? I don't have one unless you count Madd

Sport? Basketball but to play if you mean watch then I would have to say Tennis

Game? The hidden object ones ;)

Fad/craze/rage/mania from your time? The Goonies for sure

Animal? My pups

Place (to visit/live/travel)? Hmm IDK tough one

3. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Oh, well, hey, Gin! Good to see you! And thanks for answering the second part of my little self-made-up survey! :) <3 Nice to see some of the activities here and around still being taken part in. Skål!

Ginney likes this.
  4. Emm

Emm Well-Known Member

TV/movie genre?
    Comedy, because my girlfriend has a killer laugh

TV show?
    Australia's cheapest weddings... You really can't fake that level of cringe

Movie?
    Home

Actor/actress? Sandra bullock

Book? The Writing on my Forehead
    Author? Karin Slaughter

Magazine? Don't read magazines

Sport? To do - swimming
    To watch - rugby union

Game? Scrabble, or monopoly

Fad/craze/rage/mania from your time? Y2k bug and its anticipated destruction of the world

Animal? tigers

Place (to visit/live/travel)? Canada

5. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Oh, well, hey, Emm! Nice to meet you, and thanks for replying! Enjoyed your answers. :)

Emm likes this.
  6. Spygirl

Spygirl Well-Known Member

TV/movie genre?
    Drama -

TV show?
    A couple new ones top the list - "This is Us" and "Pitch"...but I also like The Walking Dead, Orphan Black, House of Cards

Movie?
    The Princess Bride; A League of their Own; Say Anything; Dirty Dancing; The Breakfast Club

Actor/actress? Sandra Bullock

Book? The Witching Hour - Anne Rice; The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
    Author? Don't have a favorite...

Magazine? Cooking Light; Food & Wine; Bicycling; Tennis.

Sport? To do - Tennis (also like to watch tennis)...
    To watch - Football

Game? Scrabble

Fad/craze/rage/mania from your time? Doc Martens; Dance Clubbing; arcade games

Animal? my dogs

Place (to visit/live/travel)? London, UK, Charleston, SC, Savannah GA

7. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the set of terrific answers, Spy. Couple more things I see that I also like there. Thank ya very much for playing my little game. <3

Spygirl likes this.